Modem older then all of us!

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
epicelite

Modem older then all of us!

Post by epicelite »

http://hackaday.com/2009/05/27/1964-300 ... s-the-web/

I was like WTF when I found out it works by putting the phone onto the 2 speakers! :shock:

len17

Re: Modem older then all of us!

Post by len17 »

epicelite wrote:Modem older then all of us!
No. *sigh*

(Hands up all of you who can make an acoustic-coupled modem "sing" by whistling the magic tone.)

jgotthardt

Post by jgotthardt »

epicelite - speak for yourself.

I am older than that modem (I was born the year the transistor was invented). You also have probably never seen an ASR33 or loaded a program using punched paper tape.

amberwolf

Post by amberwolf »

Somewhere I have a 110-baud acoustic coupler modem, which might even still work. I think it's in the same box as the rotary phone it was used with. ;)

I also have a BITS 483 8K core-memory system (including schematics and some spare boards) with it's punched-paper-tape reader. :)

Anyone interested in the latter? It does power on, but as I don't really have any experience with using it, and at the moment have no manual for it, I can't program it, and have no programs on tape for it either.

westfw

Post by westfw »

Raises hand.

I think all the "Bell 103" modems were 300bps capable, but 300bps terminals were pretty rare till quite a bit later; we used out acoustically coupled modem with a 110bps ASR33 teletype machine in approx 1975 (1964 is pretty old. It's hard to imagine 11 years going by while comm speeds stayed about the same!)

westfw

Post by westfw »

Heh. Looks like they called in to a cisco dialin server. My baby!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Len17 wrote:(Hands up all of you who can make an acoustic-coupled modem "sing" by whistling the magic tone.)
Here, too.

While in junior high school, my friends and I got quite adept at "kick-starting" our modems from a voice call, and transitioning back again without redialing. Most of us had time restrictions - no incoming phone calls after a certain time at night - so we'd make sure that we were on the phone before the cutoff rolled around. Later, if one of the modems balked or we missed the pick-up after we were done with the data, that was essentially "game over" until the next day.

I've got a couple of CDs with 300 BPS data tracks on them. Modern high-speed modems have problems trying to negotiate a connection with a CD player, but older and slower "dumb" modems don't know any better, and are quite happy to "connect" and belch out a screen full of text in response.

epicelite

Post by epicelite »

Amberwolf wrote:Somewhere I have a 110-baud acoustic coupler modem, which might even still work. I think it's in the same box as the rotary phone it was used with. ;)

I also have a BITS 483 8K core-memory system (including schematics and some spare boards) with it's punched-paper-tape reader. :)

Anyone interested in the latter? It does power on, but as I don't really have any experience with using it, and at the moment have no manual for it, I can't program it, and have no programs on tape for it either.
I can has? :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”