Folding@home.

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
epicelite

Folding@home.

Post by epicelite »

Hay if anyone here does folding@home why not join the overclockingwiki team?

We are almost #100!

http://www.overclockingwiki.org/

Join team #77826 :3

Come on do it. :mrgreen:

eil

Re: Folding@home.

Post by eil »

Tonight I set up my workstation to do some work for Rosetta@home, a similar venture. Really easy on Ubuntu, just install the boinc-manager package, fire it up, and choose a project to join.

richms

Post by richms »

eil wrote:Tonight I set up my workstation to do some work for Rosetta@home, a similar venture. Really easy on Ubuntu, just install the boinc-manager package, fire it up, and choose a project to join.
Power usage is the reason that I dont partake in any of these projects - perhaps if electricity was free, but with it adding a few $ per computer to the bill each month - no thanks.

eil

Post by eil »

richms wrote:Power usage is the reason that I dont partake in any of these projects - perhaps if electricity was free, but with it adding a few $ per computer to the bill each month - no thanks.
This is the justification that a lot of people use, but it's really not as bad as you think. I did the calculations on my moldy old power-hungry file server at home, and the average difference between 0%-1% CPU load and 100% CPU load is about 9 watts. If the machine is kept running 24 hours a day for a full year, the cost difference comes to about $10 per year. I don't mind spending such a pittance on Real Science.

Modern machines are probably more efficient and will cost less to run at 100% CPU versus not. And unless you're paying ungodly rates for power, running a distributed processing client on a machine that's only on for 1/3 of a day is likely to add less than $3 per year rather than per month.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”