Help with adafruit wave shield and multiple speakers

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
campagnola13

Help with adafruit wave shield and multiple speakers

Post by campagnola13 »

Hi!

I'm new to Arduino and Adafruit and am working on a project in which I would like to control multiple speakers (4 total) from a separate computer (wireless if possible). Ideally, each speaker would be able to work simultaneously and independently from one another, both in sounds played and volume of sound. Is there a way to do this? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Nick

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with adafruit wave shield and multiple speakers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The wave shield is only capable of playing one sound at a time. To have 4 separate sounds, you would need 4 wave-shields and 4 Arduinos. There are a few ways to address the wireless requirement. Exactly what kind of control do you need from the host computer?

Another option for playing sounds is the VS1053 Codec breakout: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1381

campagnola13

Post by campagnola13 »

Thank you for your response.

Does the VS1053 Codec have the ability to control multiple speakers separately? Or would you still need multiple Arduinos as stated below.

As for the computer, I would like to be able to control the sounds being played and the volume of the sounds to the speakers from the computer.

adafruit_support_bill

The VS1053 is stereo. It can play 2 different channels, but there is no simple way to have separate start/stop & volume control on them when playing back from compressed audio files.

What kinds of sounds will you be playing? Do they have to be recorded sounds? The VS1053 also supports MIDI.

campagnola13

Post by campagnola13 »

Ok, I would like to play from a list of pre-recorded sounds, I could convert them into WAV files in necessary. I do need a simple way to control start/stop time and volume control. Do you know of another switch that would give me the ability to do that?

adafruit_support_bill

Either the wave-shield or the VS1053 could be used, but you would need 4 of them plus 4 arduinos to drive them. Wireless communication could be via XBee or possibly CC3000 Wi-Fi modules. In any event, you would need to write some code to pull it all together. We don't have any off-the-shelf examples or libraries that do that.

campagnola13

Post by campagnola13 »

Ok, great, thank you so much for your help. I'll order more and play around with code, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions at that point!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”