Raspberry Pi double WiFi Mesh Network Node

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ldjessee

Raspberry Pi double WiFi Mesh Network Node

Post by ldjessee »

Hello,

I have ordered two Pis, waiting for them to arrive.

I am hoping to be able to rig up something that allows one Pi to offer WiFi access via one WiFi dongle, which then uses another WiFi dongle to talk to the Mesh and pass traffic back and forth.

This will NOT be using Radio Pack or HAM radio of any kind. Just was hoping to use two WiFi dongles. I was going to have the local only offer channel 11, while the Mesh WiFi used Channel 1.

The idea is to offer WiFi access to unsophisticated users who would just want to access the Internet via WiFi from their smartphone, tablet, ebook reader, etc.

LDJ

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Raspberry Pi double WiFi Mesh Network Node

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Should be the same as this, you're just using another dongle instead of the wired connection:
http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a- ... cess-point
The only issue is going to be power for the two dongles. The Pi can barely provide enough power to run one dongle when connected directly to USB. You will have to connect the two dongles through a self-powered hub.

ldjessee

Post by ldjessee »

Hello,

Thanks so much, I ordered a powered USB HUB!

Thanks,

LDJ

ldjessee

Post by ldjessee »

Got both my RPis and other stuff I ordered.

I think I am going to need a Powered USB Hub that is powered by USB (if there is such a thing).

I plan on eventually running this from a battery and the battery pack I selected has two USB outputs (5v@1a).

I also need it to be as compact as possible and only need 4 spots on the Hub.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

LDJ

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

ldjessee wrote:I think I am going to need a Powered USB Hub that is powered by USB (if there is such a thing).
Kind of a contradiction in terms.. if a hub can only draw power from its upstream USB connection, it's an unpowered hub.

The USB standards put an upper limit on the amount of current you can draw through a single connection: 500mA for USB-2, 1.5A for USB-3. A well-made, powered hub can deliver the maximum current through all its ports at once, so the hub needs to draw more current from its power supply than any single USB connection can deliver.

You need a powered hub when you have a collection of devices that want more current than a single USB connection can give. You use an unpowered hub when a single USB connection can supply all the current you need, but you need multiple ports to plug everything in.

ldjessee

Post by ldjessee »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the response!

The battery I bought from adafruit (#1566) says in the description and labelled on the device, it provides 5VDC @ 2A from one of the ports. I assume this is correct, I have not taken a multimeter to it or in anyway tested it.

I know several Apple products have chargers that provide that power. It might not be to spec, but people are making and selling such power sources.

The Powered USB Hub I purchased from adafruit (#961) has an upstream USB connector and a power plug. The power plug is a barrel connector and is marked as a 5V @2A. As the battery pack I have provides 5V @ 2A, I was just going to hack together a cable with USB on one end and the barrel at the other.

I was originally hoping that someone made one that was as compact as the one I got from adafruit, but I have not found any such hub.

I posted in the projects forum http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45876, as I thought I was getting beyond the scope of this area. I have determined, due to the power flicker when the battery finishes charging, that it will not work for me and I need to return it.

Thanks again for your help Mike, and I would appreciate it if you could look at my other post. It is a little more thorough.

LDJ

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

ldjessee wrote:I have determined, due to the power flicker when the battery finishes charging, that it will not work for me and I need to return it.
Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a return/refund.

ldjessee

Post by ldjessee »

Hello Rick,

I appreciate that, but I might just keep it. It does work, and we have so many devices that could be recharged with this, I think I will hang on to it.

LDJ

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”