USB/DC Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer Charger Output Voltage of L

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sakina

USB/DC Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer Charger Output Voltage of L

Post by sakina »

Hi, I have problem regarding to the output voltage for load at solar charger. The load that I use is 1.5W/3.7V

Question is 1) what the actual output voltage drop at LOAD pin if I connect 6V solar panel to the charger? I already test with the solar+charger+3.7V Li-Ion, the output voltage is about 4.3V at LOAD pin and 4.2V at BATT.. But when I charge the 3.7V Li-Ion with USB 5V supply (USB supply+charger+Li-Ion), the output voltage drop at pin LOAD is 5V while it charging the 3.7V Li-Ion.
Q2) Does the output voltage drop at pin LOAD charger is depend on what kind of supply that we use or not? let say if from solar 6V, output load is 6V and if from 3.7V Li-Ion, so the output load also 3.7V..

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: USB/DC Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer Charger Output Voltage

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The load output of the solar charger is controlled by the load-sharing circuit in the charger. When the input current is high enough, it will divert part of the input voltage directly to the load terminals, so the voltage at the load terminals can be as high as the input voltage. When the input current falls below the level needed to charge and/or drive the load, the load-sharing circuit will switch to battery power and the load voltage will be equal to the battery voltage (3.3-4.2v)

sakina

Post by sakina »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:When the input current is high enough, it will divert part of the input voltage directly to the load terminals, so the voltage at the load terminals can be as high as the input voltage.
> so, you means the input current only divert to load. but what about the battery? does the solar charger perform charging to battery at the same time?

sorry. I am lack of this knowledge.. :(

adafruit_support_bill

It will charge the battery if there is any current in excess of what is needed to drive the load.

sakina

Post by sakina »

Thank you for your response. One more thing, I have test this solar charger with power supply. Why when I set the input voltage from 5V to 6.5V, the charger board only gets 5V (measured at input terminal). What does it mean?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Why when I set the input voltage from 5V to 6.5V, the charger board only gets 5V (measured at input terminal).
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you changing the voltage output of your power supply?
Note that the maximum safe input for this board is 6v as marked on the board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”