WiFi on my RPi

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrisus

WiFi on my RPi

Post by chrisus »

ello All,
I've bee trying to get my WiFi configured and am having issues.
My first distro of Wheezy 7.?.12 works well with my NetGear WNA 1100. Was able to configure the network/interfaces and /wpa.conf and the adapter works no problem with this 4G SD and that version. I wanted to go to a 16G so ordered new SD with the latest Wheezy. Can't get my 1100 to work. I've tried another img, update firmware-atheros, removing the firmware, and re installing, a different SD card. Running out of options. Also tried moving the working SD card files to a larger one but have not been successful yet.

When I boot these various options I get the same results. The OS is pulling up an ath9k-htc FW ver 1.3, then 80211 phy) Atheros AR927 rev 1.
Activating swap...done. Looks OK to me.

Next is what looks like the problem to me. (new at this stuff) 12.917013 EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null) I assume something is not remounting?
Repeats this then goes into cleaning up and configuring various files, but no beacon from my WNA and no IP address.

Rechecking everything again. My /etc/network/interfaces file was incorrect did not set for DHCP.
Fixed it to match file on working SD card. Got a little further but now returning:
wpa_supplicant:/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start run-parts:/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
Can't get into daemon.lg for errors.

It now appears to be sending requests out for a DHCP server but no flashes from the WNA or answers from DHCP so it times out.

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:26:f2:4d:13:7d
Sending on LPF """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Sending on socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
etc
No DHCPOFFERS recived
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping. Done

MY router is working fine.

Doing research I get a lot of different fixes that people have used not sure which to pursue. I've been going along with theRPi users guide by Eban Upton and some of that is different then what I have. mainly my /etc/network/interfaces. I have been setting the files to match the files on the working SD card. HELP

Tried to make image of the working card to put on 16G amd win32 imager corrupted my working card!!!!!

I'm enjoying trying to learn a new system and OS, but don't want to move forward with out a larger SD card.
Could use some advice. By the way do you guys sell a 32G or bigger with Whezzy 7.26.13 loaded?
Thanks
Chris

adafruit_support_rick

Re: WiFi on my RPi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Is the SSID hidden on your router? If so, enable SSID broadcast.

chrisus

Post by chrisus »

My router was set to broadcast SSID and other wireless devices are working fine.
Still getting wpa_supplicant:/sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start run-parts:/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
Thanks for the suggestion.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

ChrisUS wrote:Next is what looks like the problem to me. (new at this stuff) 12.917013 EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null) I assume something is not remounting?
That's a normal part of the operating system's boot process.

It's kind of an "open crate with crowbar (included in crate)" problem.. the boot system can't mount the SD card as a filesystem until it reads the filesystem configuration file. That file is stored on the SD card. The solution is to mount the card to a temporary location, read the config file, then remount the card in its official location.

What do you have in your /etc/network/interfaces file?

chrisus

Post by chrisus »

I've had a few different configurations.
1st:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auot wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa.conf

2nd:
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

#with /etc/wpa.conf reading
network={
ssid="trojanpcvirus" # my network
key-mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="antivirustrojan" # my key

Both 1 and 2 send back the supplicant error etc. Doing some research I made the following changes: from http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16624

For people who actually take their laptops with them, constantly editing a text file isn't the best of options. Luckily, wpasupplicant is perfectly capable of roaming (connecting to a list of known networks, and if you so choose, unencrypted ones). The /e/n/i config would then look like this:
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf

We will create the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf file, and add some options and out networks:
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
GROUP=netdev

# This one is for connecting to any unsecured network your machine comes into contect with, just comment out if you don't like this:

network={
key_mgmt=NONE
}

# The actual roaming settings go here:

network={
ssid="YOUR SSID AT HOME"
psk="BANNED"
id_str="home"
}

network={
ssid="YOUR SSID AT WORK"
psk="BANNED"
id_str="work"
}

With this setup I get no errors wnlan0 is recognized with the atheros firmware.
the NWI deamon runs ...skip eth0...skipwlan0...done, but it is running and no error from wpa-supplicant.
The network interfaces are configured, the power comes on the WNA, no flashing/no beacon, and no connection on wlan0.
Sorry kinda long message. I see now why I had to blog when returning equipment.
Thanks
Chris

chrisus

Post by chrisus »

Found another post at http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68001
about using the carl9170-1 firmware. ant insight?

chrisus

NetGear1100WNA on Pi

Post by chrisus »

I found the answer at http://harindern.blogspot.com/2013/02/r ... -wifi.html.
WiFi with Netgear WNA 1100 is working on the Pi.

fherman

Post by fherman »

I had a similar problem getting the ethernet port to work on a BeagleboneBlack board The problem for me was that the USB port on my workstation did not put out enough power. I connected the USB cable to a different computer, and the BeagleBone Black was able to get the DHCP communications over the ethernet cable reliably. Same solution using an A/C power supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”