Help with Rasberry Pie purchase

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Fiesco

Help with Rasberry Pie purchase

Post by Fiesco »

Hi,

I am new to the Rasberry Pie thing and I want to purchase one. I was thinking about this starter:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1014#Description
I could do some tutorials and after this it gets handy for this and that project, but I have some questions about this. (I hope not to annoy anyone).

Does this package have a Wifi Dongle (USB)? (1) I think I have spotted one in the picture but I seem to miss it in the discretion.
If so (or not) what are the specs of such one (speed, current needed)? (2) I need to get the “fastest” supported version (Media stream is a future project). Recommendations? (3)
Is for this dongle an extra power supply necessary or recommended? (4)
I need a HDMI to VGA cable for monitor connection too, I figured that already out. Is there anything else I could have possibly missed (general stuff which is highly recommended, not so much project specific stuff)? (5)

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Fiesco

wirelessmonk

Re: Help with Rasberry Pie purchase

Post by wirelessmonk »

1) No wireless dongle included, but they do include an ethernet cable to get you started. If you want fast WiFi, you will want to start with the 300Mb/s dongle. You probably will not see 300Mb/s due to far too many variables to go into now. 150MB/s isn't exactly useless. Higher gain antennae (external) seem to fair better but everyone's experience varies.
2)Regarding speed, All Raspberry Pi (model b) are created equal. You may be able to overclock. Then again, doing so may corrupt your card. You'd be surprised how snappy 800Mhz (moderate overclock) is.
3) A power source of some kind is required. More than 5v and you will kill your Pi. Less than 800mA and you will think it is broken or the OS is malfunctioning.
4)The kit is pretty thorough for a starter kit.

Cheers,

Fiesco

Re: Help with Rasberry Pie purchase

Post by Fiesco »

First of all, thank you for your quick response.
I was thinking about this antenna:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1030#Technical_Details
5v 2 A… I need an extra power supply. There might be other options, I just passed 2 of them.
Hub is not really an option, want to keep the device as small and simple as possible. My idea was a connector (self-made) with separate power supply. Any comments?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”