Wireless Components

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
beangibbs

Wireless Components

Post by beangibbs »

I would like to send wireless data (simple numbers and alerts) from a remote instrumentation hub to a receiver up to 5 miles away. I'm a bit green to the electronics world, so would someone tell me what components will be necessary to send and receive the data? I have an Arduino Uno, so hopefully I'm off to a good start. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Wireless Components

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Bluetooth is out.. its median range is about 30 feet.

It's possible to make long distance connections with wifi (802.11), but links more than a few hundred feed tend to require special antennas and equipment (getting two antennas a couple of miles apart to point at each other is harder than it sounds).

If your hardware will be in an area with cell phone coverage, you might look at a GSM device, or possibly even an inexpensive prepaid cell phone. That's outside the realm of hardware we carry, but you might find ideas in Android forums around the web. At worst, you could encode the information as audio and send it over a modem.

Generally speaking signal connections more than a few feet tend to be above beginner level. Try to find someone who has experience with that kind of system and get as much advice from them as you can.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”