Help me think of a good company name....

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
koolkat

Help me think of a good company name....

Post by koolkat »

I have been thinking of starting a website for electronics and software stuff...and I cant seem to think of a catchy company name for the website...
one that is easy to remember and the domain is available...

(and yes...it's sorta like magicsoftinc.com...mr. magician :-) )

Can anyone here think of a good name?

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

kathak.com?

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

The_Don125 wrote:kathak.com?
With out anything kat related... :-)

my 8 grade science teacher always used to say koolkat and it got stuck in my head...now im trying to get rid of it :-)

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

Think of anything yet? What sort of direction did you want to go in with the name? Something descriptive (electronicgadgetry.com (not actually available, but along those lines), a play on words (like my ziemaginations.net (pronounced zee-maginations)), or something completely different? You didn't exactly give us much to work with, just nothing with kat (or variations) in the name.

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

sorry for not being descriptive...

I want a company name that is easy to remember (and the domain is availible) not too long...and something that sounds fancy and sorta makes sense...

"short, sweet, and elegant"

if you need any more info please ask... :)

eil

Post by eil »

You're asking for quite a lot, to be honest. :) Companies pay hundreds of thousands (sometimes millions) of dollars to marketing firms to come up with a good, memorable, marketable, non-infringing name.

That said, it took me about a week of non-stop brainstorming in March for me to come up with an original and catchy company name. Some squatter already thought of the .com for it, though, so I had to go with .net. (And no, I can't mention the name because I haven't decided when or even whether to launch the company. :P)

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

I found that out after a month of brainstorming....:-)

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

is this even considerable...one of my friends was playing a word guessing game and he just typed in a few random letters and I thought this looked cool...

"saeo"

I could make it saeosoft.com or something...

really...tell me your opinion... :D
(or something that's even better!) :)

Thanks for your help guys(or gals)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

pick a name that is easy to pronounce & spell

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Ladyada on this one, there was a little pizza place by our house that had a really confusing name and they told us that was the reason they went out of business (no one could find out about them since their name was confusing)

It really doesn't have to make sense (Magic Soft?! What the heck is that about? I don't even SELL software! And it's got nothing to do with magic!) but it should be simple. Just a few shots in the dark here (may or may not be taken) (all electronicish related)
5VoltParty.com
microChipKits.com
voltageDropInc.com

:? Ehhh.... That's why I stick to the technical side

mngrif

Post by mngrif »

Oooh! I got it!

ChipsInKits.com!

I just checked with my usual registrar and it's available, all of the major TLD's are, actually.

I'm kinda worried about my company's name too. It's a cool name, dnydeNetworks, but half the people I talk to about it wonder about pronunciation. Which, by the way, is "denied". When you search google for "dnyde" it wants to know if you meant "nude", which is pretty cool :D

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

geez...this "thinking" thing is harder than i thought :cry:

hmmm......

i like something with a "soft" at the end of it...(it just sounds more...."techy";-)

and that "saeo" ...I thought it sounded like "see-yo" to me...and a few of my friends...whats it sound like to you?

and I thought it looked cool when typed new times BANNED font...becuase the end of the 'a" sorta curves around with the 'e'....

mngrif

Post by mngrif »

I would pronounce "saeo" as "say-oh". "ae", the letter, is pronounced like a long "a".

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

koolkat wrote:I thought it looked cool when typed new times BANNED font...becuase the end of the 'a" sorta curves around with the 'e'....
If you wanna go with that name, you've gotta dipthong it. Only way to go.

Sæo Soft

Of course the url would still be like Saeo. But you wouldn't be the first person to do that. (BANNED)

That way your pronunciation would be correct. It can be pronounced as "e" like "Encyclopædia Britannica" (Betcha didn't know that's how it's actually spelled)

Post by 2600 »

So what's wrong with "SoftMagic"?

Too lazy to check domain registrars for that angle.

The Arthur C. Clarke quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" comes to mind.

From which naturally follows another of his, one of my favorites:

"If warp six is possible, where are all the tourists?"

Wonder if "WarpSix" is taken?

Hmmm.

Just remember, free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”