Does anyone know a program like this..?

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

Does anyone know a program like this..?

Post by magician13134 »

Hi, I've been on a quest to make my PC more Mac-like lately, so I've got a dock (RocketDock) instead of a start bar and a few other tweaks, but when I maximize windows, it makes everything not as perfect (things lose transparency, like the Google Desktop Sidebar), so I want a program that will make my windows take up all available space without technically maxmizing them... Has anyone stumbled across a program like this before?
There's a lot here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+ ... US229US229
But nothing quite like I'm looking for

Thanks
Last edited by magician13134 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Don125

Re: Does anyone know a program like this..?

Post by The_Don125 »

Its not automated, but have you looked at allSnap? It just gives windows the ability to "snap" to their maximum size, without overlapping. If you've ever used KDE 3.5 linux, its like that.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

That's one of the programs I'm running and I love it, but it has downsides (IE: programs like Word won't snap, with Vista resizing windows isn't always "snappy" , and some windows get some pixels clipped with snapping).

jimbles

Post by jimbles »

Without wanting to sound like a zealot, have you considered changing to a different OS? Is there any program that you absolutely NEED that is only available on windows? There's so many FOSS applications out there, I'd be surprised if windows really was your only option...

(Wow, I made it that whole post without saying you-know-what)

niksun

Post by niksun »

I switched from Windows to Linux almost 10 years ago (current flavor is Ubuntu) and will never go back. MacOS is based on FreeBSD which is very much like Linux, but I'd still prefer Linux over BSD for most desktop users. I find myself exponentially more productive in Linux than Windows, plus I much prefer the principle philosophy: applications should be experts at what they do and we shouldn't try to integrate everything into an "all-in-one." Plus, open source is a much better paradigm; it results in much better and more robust applications. I have no use for Windows and believe that most programmers don't either. Windows is fine for someone who browses the Internet and checks email; it has its pros. Any serious programmer worth their weight in salt doesn't use Windows. Anyways, I'm done ranting. :P

bnm

Post by bnm »

Just throwing this out there;

Get the suite (that way you get all the applications) -
http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

Once you have it, get a WindowBlinds Skin -
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx? ... 93&libid=1

Or are you after free? Something all together different?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

As for switching to Mac, I had a PowerBook for a week, but had to sell it due to its lack of an Intel chip, but I AM in the market for a new one, but I won't get it until I go to college, so until then, I'd like my Windows to act more like a Mac.

Also, I'll look into those two programs. Thanks

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

I just got a MacBook Pro a couple weeks BEFORE the new ones came out :x that wasnt the best of feelings... :-P

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”