College interview (MIT in specific)

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

College interview (MIT in specific)

Post by magician13134 »

Hi everyone, my MIT interview is on Monday, and I'm very nervous! I've never had an interview for anything before (no jobs, colleges, etc.) so I'm not sure exactly what it will be like... Does anyone remember their college interview? What kind of questions can I expect? Is it a test of knowledge, personality, what?
Thanks

macegr

Re: College interview (MIT in specific)

Post by macegr »

They'll want to get an idea of how quickly you learn, and how seriously you'll attack college. Don't go in there mumbling and slouching in messy clothes, but don't act too stiff and unnatural, or try to use words longer than usual. Try to file away at least a few examples of projects you've accomplished...and ones where you've failed, and why. If you help other people at school, be sure to mention that.

Don't pull resume tricks though, don't make up a fancy sounding description for an ordinary activity. If you took care of your old neighbor's yard you should mention it, but you weren't "an active member of elderly assistance efforts in the community". If you fixed computers at school, you weren't "IT Manager, Washington School District". As long as you don't try to BS the college admissions people, you'll be fine.

Sometimes they'll try to play little tricks on you, but don't worry about those too much; you'll do fine. I remember one time I heard a bell tower outside and glanced down at my watch to see what the bells were striking; as soon as I looked back up the admissions director snapped "What time is it?". After I gave the exact time to the minute, he smiled and said "Some people have to look at their watch again when I ask that question."

If you have someone who can help you over the weekend, go online and find a list of interview question and hold a couple of mock interviews. You won't be prepared for every question, but it'll help you relax.

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Thanks for the insight! I'm mostly nervous because I know that I don't have much of a chance of getting in unless I really do well at this interview... My grades just aren't up to par with what most people at MIT have, so this is really my one shot to impress them.
Thanks again

mauvehead

Post by mauvehead »

Good luck to you! No matter what pans out it will be the right thing for you. It sure sounds like you have lots of talent from what I've seen of you on the forums.

Tipp

Post by Tipp »

So, how did it go? :D

westfw

Post by westfw »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”