Simple parts inventory program? (free or opensource)

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
george_graves

Simple parts inventory program? (free or opensource)

Post by george_graves »

Can anyone recommend a simple to inventory program?

The reason why I ask is last night it took me 7 hours to figure out what I needed to order from mouser. It was not fun trying to figure out what I had on hand, what was needed, ect..

To give you an idea of my needs - I need to keep track of about 1500 parts, and be able to group them into 30 assembles.

My budget is $0. So, even an old dos program would be fine by me. Just as long as it works.

(BTW - I don't want to roll my own in excel or access)

Any suggestions? Advice?

karlgg

Re: Simple parts inventory program? (free or opensource)

Post by karlgg »

As a repentant database developer, I can't give any hints about what software to use (since I had to make them myself) but I'll mention a sticky point... You'll have to be fanatical about updating an inventory that big as you add & subtract. The minute you get behind in either direction, the whole affair will make things worse rather than better.

Once you've chosen a package to use, make sure you have some sort of system in place to keep it current! (Much like a bookstore that says "the computer says we have one!" but can't find it anywhere, a bad database is worse than no database)

sorceress sarah

Re: Simple parts inventory program? (free or opensource)

Post by sorceress sarah »

karlgg wrote:As a repentant database developer, I can't give any hints about what software to use (since I had to make them myself) but I'll mention a sticky point... You'll have to be fanatical about updating an inventory that big as you add & subtract. The minute you get behind in either direction, the whole affair will make things worse rather than better.

Once you've chosen a package to use, make sure you have some sort of system in place to keep it current! (Much like a bookstore that says "the computer says we have one!" but can't find it anywhere, a bad database is worse than no database)
Sound advice. I personally love BANNED, and BANNED Application Express is FREE and easy to develop simple applications. This one could be up and running in two hours.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”