Material help for geeks (giving away stuff).

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kyle_s

Material help for geeks (giving away stuff).

Post by kyle_s »

Last week I was lamenting the loss of some linux communities I was a part of many years ago. One of the most interesting things about the community was something no one ever really talked about: people gave stuff away rather than ebaying or pitching it. Hardware was taking up closet space, and someone would post, "Hey anyone need an old SGI?", or "I've got a pile of old video cards for anyone who wants to play with them." When I was a young-sysadmin looking for work, I was once getting advice on tweaking USB transfer speeds. Overhearing (overreading? It was irc...) the conversation, and knowing my situation, one of the regulars mailed me a firewire card. It's just how that community was.

Seconds after lamenting this loss, I realized, Doh! If you miss it, just do it!

So is there a place on this forum for people to give away old parts and hardware to a geek who needs it? If there isn't, can a new category be made for it?

I'll start it off. I've got a 500mhz (p3) Toshiba protege laptop in need of a good home, to anyone who's got a use for it (e-bay doesn't count).

This toshiba is a very small laptop (think netbook sized, but with a 4:3 aspect ratio), with no floppy or cd-rom drive. Installing an OS must be done via a usb-floppy (never was able to get it to boot from a usb cdrom). There's no onboard ethernet, but it does have two pcmcia slots, and one usb 1 port, as well as the standard headphone mic and vga ports.

A long time ago it ran win2k, but I always ran linux on it.

Any questions let me know.

--Kyle
Attachments
Ports on the side of the laptop
Ports on the side of the laptop
ports.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Front of the laptop
Front of the laptop
front.jpg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Laptop, open
Laptop, open
open.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

gamerfreak

Re: Material help for geeks (giving away stuff).

Post by gamerfreak »

I've PMd you :wink:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”