Best option for old, but likely usable, equipment

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nphillips

Best option for old, but likely usable, equipment

Post by nphillips »

I've inherited an old AT&T phone unit...old enough that everything inside are DIPs and through-hole parts.

I don't know if it still works or not, partly because I don't know what it does. (From the looks of it, it's a splitter that converts 2 incoming phone lines into eight extensions.

It's still in pretty good physical condition, and has a lot of "easily" removable components.

Part of me wants to spend a few afternoons desoldering all of the components, and adding them to my collection...but another part says "You don't have a use for most of that BANNED."

I'd drop them into the TGIMBOEJ, but cash is tight right now, so I can't afford the "frivolous" expense of shipping a box like that.

There's also eBay, but I'm not sure which would be the most profitable -- selling the unit as a whole, selling each board separately, or desoldering everythign and selling the chips either individually or in small groups.

Any thoughts?

(I still need to inventory the parts on it; I don't know what half of the ICs are...for all I know, they're awesomely awesome, and I'll want to keep them!)

Franklin97355

Re: Best option for old, but likely usable, equipment

Post by Franklin97355 »

Someone here or at the Parallax forum is starting a move to give away stuff you don't need to those that could use it. It sounds like a good idea, you clean out your closet and someone else can fill theirs. ;)

nphillips

Post by nphillips »

Yeah, I just saw that post here -- they're shipping out an old laptop.

I've definitely thought about that option, too. Sadly, the drive for a few bucks in my pocket to help fuel a couple of empty-budget projects is pretty strong :(

Like I said; I want to figure out what's actually inside the bugger, see if it works or not, and then see if there's any legitimate demand for the parts. If folks are actually looking for these pieces to rebuild old equipment, I'd prefer to kick it in their direction (paid for, or otherwise).

sorceress sarah

Post by sorceress sarah »

If that is old 5ESS switch gear, you could probably make a mint selling it on a Russian auction site. . . :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”