Thank you Ladyada (and others on these forums)

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
memoe

Thank you Ladyada (and others on these forums)

Post by memoe »

Thanks.

I got excited when I found Instructables.com and then I saw this thing called "Minty Boost" Too kewl. I bought a couple of the kits. When my 15 year old son came to visit for a few weeks, I taught him to solder (and I got in some very much needed practice.) Then I bought 5 more Minty Boost kits because I thought "What a great gift to give family and friends for the holidays." (Who doesn't enjoy getting a handmade gift.)

Meanwhile, I kept bumping into this thing called the Arduino, along with the idea of Open Hardware. Whoa! Way too kewl. Where was this sh^t 30 years ago when I was in school? I got a computer science degree and I just dabbled with microelectronics. Now I get to go back. (Well they tell me you can never go back.)

Yesterday I got my Arduino Experimenters Kit and quickly built experiment #10 (Temperature sensor.) With my kit, I also bought a 2x16 LCD display. Thank goodness I've been practicing my soldering, I soldered the header onto the LCD and connected it to the Arduino following ladyada's LCD instructions and using her newly rewritten LCD library.

The point? Within an hour, I had made a digital thermometer AND posted pictures (including links to Adafruit.com) on Facebook. Today, I've added a switch. I read over Ladyada's excellent tutorial about "bouncing" switches. Yeah, I remember that from college. Seems weird, but it's true switches bounce. Now, the switch changes the display from Celsius to Fahrenheit. All of this was by reading the wonderful resources created by Ladyada. Thanks! I am hoping that next, I can get my son to take an interest in the Arduino. I think he'd be a natural.

My Thought Don't get discouraged. I see by your tweets today that debugging these creations is too much for some. Some of those people will have to develop their troubleshooting skills separately from the hobby. Some, alas, will never figure it out. I'd like to say, there are plenty of us, who read, try, play, and learn from what you've done. Thanks. Know that there are many, who are silent and are learning. Don't be distracted by the squeaky wheels.

As for the other members of the ladyada forums. Thanks for your input and insight. It is appreciated, even when it isn't explicitly stated. We are reading and learning from what you post.

~memoe~

adafruit

Re: Thank you Ladyada (and others on these forums)

Post by adafruit »

aww thanks! :oops:

interlol

Post by interlol »

Well, if it's "congratulation time," let me tell you that the new design of the Adafruit site is great :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks! we thought that it needed a nice overhaul. lots of functional and aesthetic improvements.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”