Website layout

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fazjaxton

Website layout

Post by fazjaxton »

I love the website look, and there's a lot of good stuff on here. However, I usually have trouble finding it! Here are some problems I've had and a few recommendations:
  • Any time I want to go to the forums, I have to type in the forums URL myself (faster than finding a link). Why not add a link to the main nav bar so people know it exists? I remember after my first few visits thinking "This site should really have forums." Turns out it does! (If you have to remove something, remove chat... it's always linked on the blog anyway, and is only useful one hour a week).
  • If I want to look at the design for a product, I click on the product in the left-hand pane, then click on the product again in the list that comes up, then have to scroll to the bottom of that page and find the link amongst the text to go to the site that has the parts list / design / instructions, etc. Why not have the links on the left go directly to that product page? That usually has a nice picture, and big "buy it" "make it" "design" etc. links. Add a link on these pages to the page of accessories for each product (raw PCBs, and other things) that the current links point to. (I hope that made sense...)
  • I've been reading your AVR startup tutorials, but after closing my browser, couldn't get back. I had to go to Evil Mad Scientist to find the link back to the tutorial on your site. This was a few days ago, and I see you've recently added this to the tutorials page, which is great. Fixed!
  • Right now I am trying to find your information about what you've learned by starting Adafruit and your recommendations to others. It's great material, but I can't find it! I don't remember how I got there, so I can't retrace my steps. Why not make a site map that's just a pile of links to everything so that everything is easily findable on one simple (albeit messy) page?
I don't mean to criticize... adafruit is great!

adafruit

Re: Website layout

Post by adafruit »

FazJaxton wrote:Any time I want to go to the forums, I have to type in the forums URL myself (faster than finding a link). Why not add a link to the main nav bar so people know it exists? I remember after my first few visits thinking "This site should really have forums." Turns out it does! (If you have to remove something, remove chat... it's always linked on the blog anyway, and is only useful one hour a week).
there will be a top nav "forum" link soon - it's in our list. we were not ready until we did the big forum update.
FazJaxton wrote:If I want to look at the design for a product, I click on the product in the left-hand pane, then click on the product again in the list that comes up, then have to scroll to the bottom of that page and find the link amongst the text to go to the site that has the parts list / design / instructions, etc. Why not have the links on the left go directly to that product page? That usually has a nice picture, and big "buy it" "make it" "design" etc. links. Add a link on these pages to the page of accessories for each product (raw PCBs, and other things) that the current links point to. (I hope that made sense...)
we're keeping the product pages away from the documentation pages, that said we're going to make the links bigger, better, more prominent.

the documentation pages are not there to up sell things, so we're not going to change those (for now).
FazJaxton wrote:I've been reading your AVR startup tutorials, but after closing my browser, couldn't get back. I had to go to Evil Mad Scientist to find the link back to the tutorial on your site. This was a few days ago, and I see you've recently added this to the tutorials page, which is great. Fixed!
it's all a work in progress, and as you noticed we just updated that section. we like it!
FazJaxton wrote:ight now I am trying to find your information about what you've learned by starting Adafruit and your recommendations to others. It's great material, but I can't find it! I don't remember how I got there, so I can't retrace my steps. Why not make a site map that's just a pile of links to everything so that everything is easily findable on one simple (albeit messy) page?
you should really use the search feature on the blog, it's good and finds stuff…

http://www.adafruit.com/blog?s=kit+business

that's what you're looking for we think… a giant list of everything wouldn't really work. google, our search - it's in there.
FazJaxton wrote:I don't mean to criticize... adafruit is great!
thanks for the kind words and support, this was very constructive, all good!

:)

fazjaxton

Re: Website layout

Post by fazjaxton »

Aha! Found it! Turns out I was at the wrong site. I was looking for your kit making page, which is on ladyada.net. Thanks for the quick response!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”