Good Radio Electronics Book

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sirket

Good Radio Electronics Book

Post by sirket »

Can anyone recommend a good book on Radio Electronics? I'm very comfortable with digital electronics, but there is still a lot of analog electronic voodoo I'm not yet comfortable with. I'd really like to find a good book on Radio Electronics- the sort of thing I could use to build a complete amateur radio rig from.

Any recommendations?

jgotthardt

Re: Good Radio Electronics Book

Post by jgotthardt »

"The ARRL Handbook for Radio Communication" published by the American Radio Relay League, Newington, CT, http://www.arrl.org, is the standard reference for amateur radio operators.

sirket

Post by sirket »

jgotthardt wrote:"The ARRL Handbook for Radio Communication" published by the American Radio Relay League, Newington, CT, http://www.arrl.org, is the standard reference for amateur radio operators.
The handbook has gotten a little out of hand- over 1200 pages long and covering a lot of extraneous topics with respect to what I'm interested in. The 2010 version is supposed to be completely rewritten- so maybe it has improved- but I'm sure it still contains too much information. Still- it may be the best choice.

I've had my amateur license for just under two years now but I want to strengthen my fundamentals.

rct

Post by rct »

I've glanced through the ARRL 2010 Handbook (cd-rom version). It will probably be useful to have in the long run. However, my take is that it isn't the optimal radio electronics book, at least to take me from where the three ARRL license manuals leave off. (I read through all three and took all three tests in Dec & Jan). Each chapter can be written by different authors, and be of a varying age since last update. Some of the chapters refer to kits that can be built.

I'm hoping there would be better books (at least better organized & consistent), complete with maybe a few experiments that would be a better use of my time, but I haven't really looked.

Please let me know if you find anything good.

sirket

Post by sirket »

rct wrote:I'm hoping there would be better books (at least better organized & consistent), complete with maybe a few experiments that would be a better use of my time, but I haven't really looked.
This is the same thing I'm looking for. For now- I'm going to go back through my 2008 copy of the handbook and see where it takes me. I will let you know if I find anything better.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”