Unexpected logoffs and data loss :-((

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FourthDr

Unexpected logoffs and data loss :-((

Post by FourthDr »

I just spend some time composing a reply to one of my posts this afternoon. When I clicked submit I was redirected to the login screen. Once I logged back in I clicked to return to the page I was on. And everything I had worked so hard to type up was gone!!! This really pisses me off! Why does your website continue with this evil behavior? Seems to me I complained about this a while back. But apparently nothing has been done to fix it. This also still happens with my shopping cart and it does not matter weather I am logged in or not. I either get my cart dumped or logged out or both! What is the mystery timeout period or trigger that causes the website do this to people? I did have a more eloquent message, but here too I was kicked three times loosing my composition each time!! I know you have a popular website right now, but please get this fixed!

adafruit

Re: Unexpected logoffs and data loss :-((

Post by adafruit »

FourthDr wrote:I just spend some time composing a reply to one of my posts this afternoon. When I clicked submit I was redirected to the login screen. Once I logged back in I clicked to return to the page I was on. And everything I had worked so hard to type up was gone!!! This really pisses me off! Why does your website continue with this evil behavior? Seems to me I complained about this a while back. But apparently nothing has been done to fix it. This also still happens with my shopping cart and it does not matter weather I am logged in or not. I either get my cart dumped or logged out or both! What is the mystery timeout period or trigger that causes the website do this to people? I did have a more eloquent message, but here too I was kicked three times loosing my composition each time!! I know you have a popular website right now, but please get this fixed!
hi FourthDr,

you're the first and only person who has reported this issue, it's likely something on your system and/or connection - but we'll help you troubleshoot this.

1. what os/browser are you using?
2. how do you connect to the web.
3. can you repeat this issue each time, if so - outline the steps.

you may want to try another browser, on another computer with another connection to verify it's not just your computer.

if this was a common problem we would know about, our customers are very vocal and we're always responsive to any issues that needs to be fixed.

westfw

Post by westfw »

Is it possible to make "back" to the posting page include the typed text? Some forums seem to do this, and some don't. I don't know whether it's an option (helps prevent duplicates), or just the way different SW works...

(I have tried to get in the habit of copying my text to the clipboard before I hit "submit." I too have lost carefully composed text in similar ways. (The more careful you are composing, the more time it takes, and the more likely that some error or another has trashed your "session."))

richms

Post by richms »

Another forum I use redid the submit thing to be ajaxified so that it wouldnt leave the page.

hlantz

Post by hlantz »

What I've done on a couple of sites I've built that included large textareas is to include a simple Q&D javascript that simply copies the content of the field to the clipboard the moment you push the submit button.

OK - so it's perhaps a bit controversial since it no-nonsense-copies straight over what's already IN the clipboard, which could potentially upset some users that keep important information there...

To copy the content of the textarea named TEXTAREANAME in the form named FORMNAME I've used this HTML code:

Code: Select all

<input type="submit" name="submitbutton" value="Submit" onclick="javascript:window.fCopyToClipboard(document.forms.FORMNAME.TEXTAREANAME); return(true);" />
This was done a few years ago when most people used the same two browsers, so I am not sure how todays Operas, Chromes, Safaris and Firefoxes handle things...

cstratton

Post by cstratton »

I have had similar problems posting to other boards, and one thing that I found helps prevent it is to enable automatic login / remember me
True, it's only a workaround. And if you share your pc a security problem. But it has worked for me elsewhere.

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Forum software isn't the only thing with the problem. *%@$#*#$ Peoplesoft is notorious at work for losing input after you've spent a couple hours writing up an annual review.

Best solution I know of is composing in Emacs or Notepad and then pasting into the browser when you're done.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”