Spam management

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brucef

Spam management

Post by brucef »

I was looking for a phpBB mod you could use to fully clean all traces of spam accounts out of your database when you delete the accounts (goodbye, Nicole!) but I haven't found one just yet. I did however come across something you might want to consider: spam hammer, by dangerousprototypes. Sounds like it has some good features.

Anything that lets you folks get back to creating new products and us customers figuring out how to use them is a Good Thing(tm).

adafruit

Re: Spam management

Post by adafruit »

BruceF wrote:I was looking for a phpBB mod you could use to fully clean all traces of spam accounts out of your database when you delete the accounts (goodbye, Nicole!) but I haven't found one just yet. I did however come across something you might want to consider: spam hammer, by dangerousprototypes. Sounds like it has some good features.

Anything that lets you folks get back to creating new products and us customers figuring out how to use them is a Good Thing(tm).
hi bruce,

is there any spam here at all?

on the rare occasion there is, it lasts about 5 minutes, the account(s) are removed, the IP/username/emails are all banned, this all happens instantly and without any real effort from us :)

thanks,
adafruit

chankster

Post by chankster »

However there are still remnants left over. For example there was a post by "Nicole" in the Announcements forum on the topic "ADAFRUIT JOBS BOARD IS OPEN! adafruit.com/jobs". The last post for both the Forum and the Topic views still show "Nicole" and are currently displaying as unread (for me). Viewing the topic doesn't seem to be enough and instead I need to either click "View latest post" or "Mark Topics Read" to make it finally mark as read.

Check this topic for more details:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16226

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Chankster wrote:However there are still remnants left over. For example there was a post by "Nicole" in the Announcements forum on the topic "ADAFRUIT JOBS BOARD IS OPEN! adafruit.com/jobs". The last post for both the Forum and the Topic views still show "Nicole" and are currently displaying as unread (for me). Viewing the topic doesn't seem to be enough and instead I need to either click "View latest post" or "Mark Topics Read" to make it finally mark as read.

Check this topic for more details:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16226
that goes away within a few hours or so.

thanks,
adafruit

brucef

Post by brucef »

adafruit wrote: that goes away within a few hours or so.

thanks,
adafruit
It goes away when someone posts something newer, but you have to "mark all posts read" to reset the red highlight on posts and forums. Nicole still has the most recent post in the Announcement forum, according to the front index page.

This is all a bit obsessive, no doubt, but I expect that's a common trait among makers and hangers-on.

len17

Post by len17 »

BruceF wrote:This is all a bit obsessive, no doubt, but I expect that's a common trait among makers and hangers-on.
Colour me obsessive then. :) I too find it annoying when the new-posts indicator gets stuck on like that. But at least adafruit does deal with the spam and I thank them for that!

Luap

Post by Luap »

Given that for whatever reason, I can't PM Adafruit, or Adafruit support, I figured i'd put this here.
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18893
Spam (currently the last post, by Lotuspec)
I did report the post, and absolutely nothing happened, as it is still there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”