Lady Ada videos for users who don't have Flash

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Severian

Lady Ada videos for users who don't have Flash

Post by Severian »

Howdy,
This may be more of a question for someone who knows Vimeo. I can get videos from blip.tv just fine, because they almost always have alternate formats. youtube supports html5 for videos that don't have ads. Lady Ada seems to prefer vimeo. I am not criticizing that choice, but I have not figured out how to get any of her videos there. Does anyone have a suggestion, that does not involve installing Flash? I read their license agreement. I won't install it.
Thanks,

adafruit

Re: Lady Ada videos for users who don't have Flash

Post by adafruit »

on the vimeo page(s) of the videos you can switch to the HTML 5 player and/or directly download the mp4.

thanks,
adafruit

Severian

Post by Severian »

Howdy,
Well, that information helped a little. I still can't gets the videos for recent shows. I'll share what I have learned and maybe someone can give me a pointer for the missing pieces. To see the videos for adafruit industies, go to http://vimeo.com/adafruit

First, Vimeo is a really buggy site. After at least 30 attempts trying different things, I was able to get to the first step. You have to create an account at Vimeo in order to download videos. I don't plan on uploading videos, but you need to sign up for at least a basic account. The main machine I expose to the web runs Ubuntu 11.04 and Firefox 7.01. Forget running a recent Firefox with vimeo. You'll never create an account. Search google and you will see lots of people with this problem. Setting the browser agent did not fix it. I had to use another machine with Firefox 3.6.23. That let me create an account, once I enabled javascript and cookies for both of their domains.

Logging in with the new credentials also needs the old browser. That means I can not use an HTML 5 capable browser. I can get to the pages showing where the videos would be and there is a download link. I downloaded one of the old flv videos(woo hoo), but the newer mp4 videos won't work. The hyperlink says download, but really it starts to play. If I right click and try to save, I just get a html page and not the video. If I let the browser start to play and then try to download using that url with wget, it never comes down. So, newer videos seem to be inaccessible.

This is not a complaint. I appreciate that adafruit is putting the videos up at all. Nothing requires you to do this and you don't owe me a video. It would be nice to watch them, though.
Have a great day

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

have you tried to view them on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=adafruit

thanks,
adafruit

Severian

Post by Severian »

adafruit wrote:have you tried to view them on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=adafruit
Thanks,
I actually had tried that before and it did not work. Assuming you asked me to try it for a reason, I went back to youtube, signed up for the html5 trial and tried your videos again. It turned out that just a couple did not work. Almost all of your videos worked fine for me. The first time, I just got unlucky and tried the wrong ones. I particularly enjoyed seeing the show with the Arduino team members. Thank you for posting the shows and for doing them with no ads. Shows with ads don't ever work without flash, as far as I can tell.
Good day,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”