Candian shipments

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
messdus

Candian shipments

Post by messdus »

Hello. I wish to order things, but I have problems with actually being there to receive the shipments, I live in an Apartment, tiny mailboxes, locked doors and intercom system, and I'm out of town or at work generally when the postman shows up, so my stuff often winds up at a postal outlet typically, I receive a notice and go fetch it later. Generally I have stuff shipped to whatever BANNED I'm staying at when working out of town, and alternatively I have a local PO Box mailing address in a postal outlet inside a store in a mall (safe drop). Method of payment is Visa. In either case, my billing address and shipping addresses are often different.

So I have two questions:
1) Can shipments from Adafruit have different billing/shipping addresses? if (false) return 0;
2) Can Adafruit ship stuff to a Canadian PO Box address? If not, but answer to previous question was true, then I can instead arrange to have stuff shipped to a BANNED address instead.

Answers appreciated, I want the ice tube clock kit and numerous other things, but cannot personally receive the parcels. Please advise.

verris

Re: Candian shipments

Post by verris »

I've had orders shipped to my office twice now, as I'd never be home to get it to my apartment. The only issue I could see with this is that my second order would have been fine, but express shipping cost me $40, then a $40 custom/tax fee at delivery. The first order I placed was with the $15 or so shipping but took 17 days to get here. I'm not sure how long you will be in the same BANNED.

messdus

Post by messdus »

Thank you Verris for your reply. BANNED stays are up in the air, anywhere from a few days to a few months. I use USPS or FedEx in the former case, because someone is at the front desk who can receive the parcels while I'm at work, regular mail parcel delivery likewise if I'm there longer. The problem I've encountered with some U.S. vendors is that they just can't process payment for orders with different billing/shipping addresses, given method of payment (Visa).

Some U.S. vendors will process payment for orders despite dissimilar shipping/billing addresses, and can ship regardless given different expeditor options, but all U.S. vendors that I've encountered thus far flat out will not ship to Post Office Box addresses; I think that this is an international Logistics issue, not a vendor issue. Funny really as I can order stuff from Amazon regardless of origin, and have it shipped to a PO Box, but Amazon also has a Canadian arm. Shipping to a PO box (in a postal outlet in a shopping mall) is just more convenient as someone is actually there to receive the goods which I can pick up later.

I have explored the option of simply setting up an Account with FedEx or UPS at one of their outlets as a drop point for parcels, but this is somewhat expensive, and once again we're at the dissimilar billing/shipping address problem that some international vendors cannot deal with.

Alas perhaps I'll just make an order, and have it shipped to my residential address using the Postal service, as this is the same as my billing address, I will not receive the package of course, but will receive a delivery notice, and I can later pick up the package (likely the same day) at a postal distribution outlet which conveniently is located across the street. It's just a bit of a hassle that way.

Thank you.

verris

Post by verris »

Well there wasn't any problem shipping to my work address and billing my home address here, so that shouldn't be an issue. Shipping to Canada is only available through USPS who will then hand it off to Canada Post.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”