The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

Spam block on forums borked?

by thefatmoop on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm

I keep getting this message about the system unable to verify if i'm spam or not. I type in the text in the picture then I only get the option to save as a draft...

Happened a few times when i have links and even when i don't have links.
thefatmoop

Re: Spam block on forums borked?

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks for letting us know. We will look into it! please send a screen shot to support@adafruit.com
adafruit_support_bill

by thefatmoop on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 am

sounds good i'll send it next time it happens
thefatmoop

by Scott216 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 pm

thefatmoop wrote:I keep getting this message about the system unable to verify if i'm spam or not. I type in the text in the picture then I only get the option to save as a draft...

Happened a few times when i have links and even when i don't have links.

Me too, it's very annoying.
Scott216

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:09 am

@Scott216 - If you see this again, please send a screen shot to support@adafruit.com so we can try to fix it. We are a very popular target with spammers these days and without some defenses we'd be completely swamped.
adafruit_support_bill

by wesg on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 am

Is there a way to mark a user account as not spam after completing a CAPTCHA form successfully? I don't mind filling out a form once to confirm, but it should probably save that setting.
http://www.wesg.ca - Macs and more, including Arduinos!
MacBook Pro 13" - Mountain Lion
Ubuntu Server - Nimitz - 9.25TB
4.0 GHz i7-950 watercooled workstation
Arduino / Arduino MEGA / Arduino Pro MINI / Raspberry Pi
wesg

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 am

Most of the spam we're blocking these days isn't coming from bots - it's being posted by (sub-)humans. So passing a single CAPTCHA isn't quite enough to qualify an account as 'clean'.

It's a difficult problem, and we know how annoying the CAPTCHA is for repeated posting. But the current system has been extremely successful in nearly eliminating spam - it's been at least a week since I killed any. Just a few months ago, policing spam was a big part of this job. A lot of it was pretty raw - stuff we don't want our customers to have to be exposed to.
adafruit_support_rick

by wesg on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 pm

That's great. I'm very happy with the support and community on the Adafruit forums.

I had another thought that might help. I noticed on the account page that you request the forum username, so maybe it's also possible to determine human status by checking that record. I have an established purchase history with Adafruit with valid addresses, which hopefully differentiates me from the spammers.

I realize that's a lot to check on each post, but hopefully the more reliable parameters you have to check, the better the forum gets.
http://www.wesg.ca - Macs and more, including Arduinos!
MacBook Pro 13" - Mountain Lion
Ubuntu Server - Nimitz - 9.25TB
4.0 GHz i7-950 watercooled workstation
Arduino / Arduino MEGA / Arduino Pro MINI / Raspberry Pi
wesg