Spam block on forums borked?

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thefatmoop

Spam block on forums borked?

Post by thefatmoop »

I keep getting this message about the system unable to verify if i'm spam or not. I type in the text in the picture then I only get the option to save as a draft...

Happened a few times when i have links and even when i don't have links.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Spam block on forums borked?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for letting us know. We will look into it! please send a screen shot to [email protected]

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

sounds good i'll send it next time it happens

scott216

Post by scott216 »

thefatmoop wrote:I keep getting this message about the system unable to verify if i'm spam or not. I type in the text in the picture then I only get the option to save as a draft...

Happened a few times when i have links and even when i don't have links.
Me too, it's very annoying.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@Scott216 - If you see this again, please send a screen shot to [email protected] so we can try to fix it. We are a very popular target with spammers these days and without some defenses we'd be completely swamped.

wesg

Post by wesg »

Is there a way to mark a user account as not spam after completing a CAPTCHA form successfully? I don't mind filling out a form once to confirm, but it should probably save that setting.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Most of the spam we're blocking these days isn't coming from bots - it's being posted by (sub-)humans. So passing a single CAPTCHA isn't quite enough to qualify an account as 'clean'.

It's a difficult problem, and we know how annoying the CAPTCHA is for repeated posting. But the current system has been extremely successful in nearly eliminating spam - it's been at least a week since I killed any. Just a few months ago, policing spam was a big part of this job. A lot of it was pretty raw - stuff we don't want our customers to have to be exposed to.

wesg

Post by wesg »

That's great. I'm very happy with the support and community on the Adafruit forums.

I had another thought that might help. I noticed on the account page that you request the forum username, so maybe it's also possible to determine human status by checking that record. I have an established purchase history with Adafruit with valid addresses, which hopefully differentiates me from the spammers.

I realize that's a lot to check on each post, but hopefully the more reliable parameters you have to check, the better the forum gets.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”