Defective rPi order #381873

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cdykstra

Defective rPi order #381873

Post by cdykstra »

I ordered a Raspberry Pi (model A) with the noIR camera module. After unboxing it, I flashed Raspbian to my SD card and booted it up. I tried to run rpi-update and it crashed with an error.
/bin/bash: relocation error: /bin/bash: symbol me, version GLIBC_2.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

After that I had to re-image the card. I found the following similar issue: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/issues/74. After reimage I moved the card over to another rPi (model B) and ran rpi-update successfully.I went through this a few times.

Hooking up the camera module isn't working for me either. The camera is recognized but when I try to capture with raspistill, the light comes on and it just hangs and I need to reboot. I tried 2 different installs of Raspian, both before and after running rpi-update (from another Pi, obviously.) Moving the SD card and camera module to another Pi (model B) worked fine. I'm using the same power supplies, wifi dongle, and SD cards for both Pis (tried 2 of each) and the results are the same every time. Is there something I can do to get the Pi replaced or do you have any other suggestions? I don't see any physical damage on the board that I can notice (pictures attached.)
DSC_0697.JPG
DSC_0697.JPG (703.21 KiB) Viewed 623 times
DSC_0699.JPG
DSC_0699.JPG (591.02 KiB) Viewed 623 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Defective rPi order #381873

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you swing around and give me a picture of this section, as seen from the opposite direction please:
c7.jpg
c7.jpg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 617 times
From this angle C7 looks a bit strange.

cdykstra

Post by cdykstra »

Here are 3 more pictures of that area from different directions.
DSC_0702.jpg
DSC_0702.jpg (497.85 KiB) Viewed 617 times
DSC_0703.jpg
DSC_0703.jpg (406.46 KiB) Viewed 617 times
DSC_0705.jpg
DSC_0705.jpg (609.26 KiB) Viewed 617 times

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you.

Looks like it was a false alarm. The angle of the GPIO headers in the first set of pictures made it look like the capacitor was tombstoned. The direct views show that it's fine.

BTW - those are some of the clearest hardware photos I've seen recently.. bravo!

Going back to your original post, the page you linked WRT the similar problem had a question about overclocking. IIRC, it's turned on by default in some of the more recent Raspbian distros, and you have to shut it off while running `raspi-config`. Just to check, did you shut that off?

Board power could also be an issue. The RasPi's power system is rather simple since it was designed on the assumption of USB power. There's a polyfuse just past the mini-USB connector that guards against voltage spikes or surges in current, and there's some variation in the amount of voltage that will be lost across that component. If your power supply's voltage was toward the low end of what a RasPi wants, and the polyfuse on the board giving you trouble happens to have a higher voltage drop, you could see all sorts of strange behavior.

Take a quick voltage reading between test points TP1 (near the 220uF cap by the mini-USB jack) and TP2 (between the yellow RCA jack and the GPIO headers). If you see a value less than about 4.8v, the problems you're seeing may be voltage related.

cdykstra

Post by cdykstra »

Thanks Mike! The power of a simple sheet of paper, a good macro lens, and a flash diffuser. :)

From reading that article I did suspect power, but unfortunately I don't have a voltmeter/multimeter. I will pick one up and see if I can get a reading.

I have not done any overclocking, but I hadn't checked if it was enabled either. I opened raspi-config and it looked like it was set to "none" but I re-picked none just to be safe and rebooted. The behaviors still seems to be the same after verifying the overclock settings.

I have tried 2 different power supplies as well as powering from a USB hub with 1.2A charging ports, with and without the WiFi dongle and camera module so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the power source's fault. All 3 setups work fine on the model B I have lying around here.

adafruit_support_mike

You've worked up a pretty good comparison matrix, but do get a voltage reading. An inexpensive meter from Walmart will do the job, but we have some over in the Tools section as well.

If you see a voltage between 4.8v and 5.2v, we can rule out power issues. At that point, it will be easier to get you a replacement than isolate the actual cause.

cdykstra

Post by cdykstra »

It just so happens a buddy of mine had a voltmeter and I borrowed it. It's reading 5.04 volts.

adafruit_support_mike

That's about as good a value as you could hope for, so it isn't a power issue. Let's get you a replacement.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will take over.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”