Occidentalis v0.2 Download Times Out

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
margarets

Occidentalis v0.2 Download Times Out

Post by margarets »

Hello,

First thanks so much for the awesome tutorial here: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rasp ... s-v0-dot-2

Unfortunately every time I attempt to download Occidentlis v0.2 from this link (http://adafruit-raspberry-pi.s3.amazona ... lisv02.zip) in that tutorial it will start off super fast then stop randomly at XMB, where X ranges fro 10-150. Soon after it will eventually time out.

I only seem to be experiencing this type of problem with downloading from your servers...my internet is working fine otherwise. Any thoughts on what's going on? I've attempted this maybe 5-6 times over the past 2 days. Is there an alternative mirror I can grab the distro from? I searched around a bit but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: Occidentalis v0.2 Download Times Out

Post by adafruit »

please try another connection we have be able to download it successfully from multiple connections (it's hosted on amazon). also, please download from the page, not the zip directly.

margarets

Post by margarets »

Strange. I just tried downloading from the page again and the exact same thing happened. Gets to ~100MB in just a minute or so...then suddenly stops...and then times out about 5 minutes later.

I'm on a 50Mbit/s Comcast connection...I've had no problem downloading files of this size elsewhere. Has anyone else reported problems w/ Comcast throttling when downloading Occidentalis or other largish files?

I'll try from work tomorrow...thanks.

vinito

Post by vinito »

I've been trying to download the image for a week now off and on. Same thing for me. It downloads plenty fast until it stops (lowest was about 6MB and highest I got was 328MB). Once it starts to choke, it never resumes and just dies (times out).
I thought I found a BANNED and that downloaded fine, but it appears to be corrupted.
I'd like to try it out, but at this rate I just won't have the opportunity.

Edit to add:
In case it matters...
I am on a Google Fiber 1GB connection on Windows 8 PC.
It's nice and fast and there are no download limits or anything. I've downloaded lots of files larger than this and never have a problem.
When the download starts, it will occasionally get over 200MB and it gets there in just a matter of seconds, but once it hiccups, it never starts back up and will time out.
I've tried it on Chrome, IE and Firefox and the same thing happens on all, so it's not a browser issue.
Since this is the only thing I've ever had trouble downloading since I've got on this Google Fiber deal, it looks from my perspective to be Amazon hosting issue. Maybe it's working for others, and if so it's probably still an Amazon issue for having better connections or whatever for different locations or something. Can you tell I'm not an IT professional?

Edit to add:
Well I'm not sure if what I did fixed it or what. I still can't download the file with Chrome - still does the same start-to-download, hiccup, die thing.
I installed a download manager on my PC and maybe that integrated itself with Firefox but not Chrome, but after installing the manager, I tried downloading from Firefox and it was successful the first time. I didn't see the actual download speed, but with the 1GB connection the download took about 5 seconds (so I guess simple math says that's about 175 MB/sec.).
Anyway, if others have this issue in the future, it might be the way browsers deal with downloads and it might be fixed by installing a download manager. I keep saying "might" because I can't be sure what was good ideas and what was just Mr. Magoo luck.
And in case it matters, the manager I installed was FlashGet. It sounded like a video downloader but apparently it's a general download manager.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”