Return and Issue

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mortification

Return and Issue

Post by mortification »

To Whom It May Concern:

1) I ordered a LOT of stuff within the last few weeks but realize I don't see myself doing anything with the Arduino kit I ordered as I have decided to go Raspberry Pi for my projects... Can I return the Arduino Kit.

2) I ordered a DHT-22 sensor. Running on Raspberry Pi, I get only a humidity of 99.9%. Temp seems ok. I have seen others in the forum had this issue after use in more-harsh environments with exposure to direct moisture, etc. I pulled it out of the bag, wired it to the breadboard, and tested. I am assuming this device is bad as I know it isn't 99.9% humidity in Cleveland in December in the upstairs of my house...

3) As far as the DHT-22 (humidity sensing). I see that this requires quite a bit of bit-banging and does not return a response every time. Is there something better? I2c version? I AM using a CharLCD Plate so I don't know if an I2c sensor can be added to this. Honestly, I prefer Dallas OneWire as a protocol but see no humidity sensors like that available and the ones I found on the Internet are quite Pricy.

Thanks!

Steve

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Return and Issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

WRT #1: We accept returns on unopened merchandise within 14 days of purchase for orders in the US, and 28 days for international orders. You'd have to pay for the return shipping if those conditions apply. The refund would be in store credit rather than cash.

WRT #2: We test pretty much everything before it ships, so the odds of getting a defective sensor straight out of the bag are fairly low. Current weather being what it is, the DHT22 could have picked up a bit of condensation if it was delivered in the last couple of weeks. If you happen to have any dessicant packs, heat one of those in a microwave for 30 seconds, let it cool, then put it in an airtight container with the DHT22 overnight. Dry rice works too, but is less efficient than silica gel. If it simply doesn't work, we'll be happy to replace it.

WRT#3: We have a range of temperature sensors, including the DS18B20, which is a 1-wire device. It's just a temperature sensor though, and doesn't do humidity. The AM2315 contains a DS18B20 along with a capacitive humidity sensor and a microcontroller to manage both. The microcontroller talks to the outside world using I2C. The Sensiron SHT11 also does temperature and humidity, and also speaks I2C:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1293 - AM2315
http://www.adafruit.com/products/246 - Sensiron SHT11

I2C is specifically designed to let multiple devices share the same bus, so adding one of those to the same bus as an LCD Plate would be no harder than plugging it in.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”