Product Request / Suggestion - Ultimate BBB/Pi Enclosure

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ssokol

Product Request / Suggestion - Ultimate BBB/Pi Enclosure

Post by ssokol »

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but...

I'm looking for a way to embed an ethernet switch and a USB hub in an enclosure along with an SBC - either a BeagleBone Black or Raspberry Pi. I've not been able to find any domestic suppliers for the switch, the hub or the enclosure. Would anyone else be interested in this kind of thing?

I have found a source for a switch that looks promising. It has four external ports (i.e. ports that face to the outside of the enclosure) and one internal port (for connection to the RJ-45 on the SBC). The price is definitely reasonable ($3 - $5 depending on quantity). I ordered a sample but the manufacturer sent the wrong board so I'm waiting for a replacement. The minimum order is apparently 500 units, though the sales rep indicated that he could piggy-back on another large order if I was able to be flexible on delivery time. Here's a link: http://BANNED/1gI0Urf

I've found a USB hub that came enclosed in a box that was intended to mount in a 3.5" drive bay. It has four outward-facing USB "A" female jacks and one inward-facing male "A" connection on a short (24") cable. External 5-volt power can be connected for higher-power applications. Like the switch, it doesn't cost much ($6.50) and it works, but it's a bit of a pain to "shell" these. Surely somebody out there offers the "guts" without the plastic box for the same or less. Here's a link: http://BANNED/OLoNHb

The enclosure would need to be custom. It would need cut-outs for the USB ports and the Ethernet ports and mounting gear for the SBC. At this point I'm favoring the BBB over the Pi, but I can imagine the case could be built to fit either. It would need room for a shield / cape and would also probably need space for a power supply. (My application will need some kind of intelligent power control circuit to turn on / off with startup / shut-down of a vehicle.)

Would Adafruit be interested in creating something like this? If not, would you be able to source and re-sell the parts to make it (at least the switch and the USB hub)? I doubt that there's a huge market for this, but I'm probably not the only one out there who would buy if it were available. Call it the ultimate BBB (or Pi) expansion enclosure.

If not, anybody want to do a Kickstarter project?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”