question about return or credit for item

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lat50

question about return or credit for item

Post by lat50 »

Hi Adafruit,

I'm a new customer and I received my first order (#439171) from you about a week ago. I ordered several things, but have only worked with the RF key fobs and receiver (1096) so far. I built a breadboard circuit to trigger a relay with one of the two 1096 boards and got it working. Then I duplicated the circuit on a circuit board and it did not work. I removed the second 1096 from the circuit board and inserted it into the breadboard circuit, and got no output from the receiver pins. I reinstalled the first 1096 back into the breadboard and everything works again, so it looks like the second of the two 1096 boards is defective. (I tested each one several times to be sure I did it right)

I am in Canada, so the shipping is expensive (in either direction). I know I will be ordering from Adafruit again, so I am wondering how I can go about getting a credit for the defective board that can be applied to my next order? Do I need to send the defective board back?

Also, after reading your returns, I feel I need to ask about the other items I received but have not used yet. If any of them are found to be defective, would I be able to get credit for them later, or should I get them all out and test them now?

Thank you.

K.D.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: question about return or credit for item

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

In general terms, it's our job to make sure all our products work when they go into the box, and your job to make sure they work when they come out.

It's a good idea to check each item as soon as you unpack it. The sooner you find a problem and bring it to our attention, the more confident we can be when offering you a replacement or refund. We have a 30 day return/replace/refund window, but that time stops as soon as you post a message here saying you have a problem. We won't try to weasel out of supporting something by running out the clock.

The moderators here in the forum are experienced with electronics and Adafruit hardware. We'll try to troubleshoot problems first, but if we find clear evidence that there's a hardware problem, we'll refund or replace.

We love people who do comparison tests (like the ones you did) because that makes our part of the process simple. If one unit works and the other doesn't for otherwise identical operating conditions, it's pretty easy to peg that as a hardware problem.

Just to nail down the support file, could you please post a photo of the unit that doesn't work? 800x600 images usually work best.

lat50

Post by lat50 »

Thanks Mike,

I have now checked the two Bluefruit EZ Link boards and found that they both do not go into pairing mode when the onboard button is held down for 5 seconds. So, it seems that I have one M4 Receiver board not working, and both Bluefruit EZ-Link boards. I saw that Adafruit Tech Support, Bill, had answered another user on this forum who also had the same problem of his EZ-Link not going into discoverable mode recently.

I made two short videos of the problem parts, which I hope is just as good for you as a picture. I am uploading them as unlisted videos to Youtube, and I will delete them later. This is the first time I have used Youtube, and it looks like each video will take a long time to load, so I will post the links for you later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

lat50

Post by lat50 »

Hi Adafruit,

I have posted the two videos mentioned in my previous post. Here are the links:

1. Video showing 2 Bluefruit EZ-Link boards that do not go into pairing more… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCMQrzNzTA

2. video showing one of the two 1096 M4 receivers that did not work… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfIWgVa0-c

Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you for the videos.. they make it easy to see the issues.

Based on your test of the receivers, it looks like one just doesn't work. We'll get you a replacement for that one.

The EZ-Links were blinking in a pattern I don't recognize, and when two devices misbehave in the same way my problem-solving habits kick in. Double-check the voltage reaching the Vin pin, and see if you can get a current reading on the supply line. I have an EZ-Link sitting next to me now, and it's drawing about 25mA.

lat50

Post by lat50 »

Hi Mike, thanks for looking at the videos and getting back to me.

I just checked the current used by the EZ-Link boards with an inline digital multimeter on the +5V line, but I could not get a stable reading. It kept fluctuating between about 10 ma and 42 ma on both Bluefruit boards. I tried a couple of times with each board, powering them first with a Uno and then with a Mega 2560. I checked the voltage from both boards. The Uno was outputting 4.8 - 4.9 v and the Mega put out 4.8 steady on the "Power" pin headers.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you need me to do something else.

lat50

Post by lat50 »

Oh yeah, just in case you need these details for my las post…

The current readings were taken while EZ-Link was powered through the USB cable this time, but for the video I was using a 5v 3A power supply plugged into the Uno board, rather than the USB. When I was checking the current since your reply to this thread, I did try both boards again by holding down the Discover button, but there was still no change in the rate of LED flash nor to the oscillating current readings.

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. that does sound like some kind of glitch in the hardware.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a new M4 receiver and a couple of new EZ-Links. They may want to exchange the new EZ-Links for the ones you have now so we can examine them in our own lab, but if they do we'll arrange for shipping.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey you shouldnt power an arduino with a 5V adapter - it needs 7V+! also you're using an arduino clone. that could also cause problems. try with a genuine arduino, powered properly, and also checking it with a windows or other computer in case its a mac/laptop bluetooth problem. thanks!

-mike-

Post by -mike- »

Hello: I recently ordered a complete Raspberry Pi set of products from adafruit (Invoice #458763 - 03/18/2014). Everything you sent as part of this order including the Raspberry Pi Model B is fully up and running, except for one item: the Miniature Wireless USB Keyboard with Touchpad (Rii tek) model RT-MWK01 v3). This keyboard/touchpad simply does not work. I've tried to use this device on both my Windows PC and the Raspberry Pi. In both cases, the keyboard appears to be working well, but the touchpad will only work intermittently, if at all, and constantly freezes. This unit is simply not usable and I would like to return it (in as new condition) for a full refund.

PS: I fully charged the Keyboard before first using it, and the range is just a few feet. I am using both an old wired USB mouse and a more recent Logitech Wireless USB mouse with not problems what so ever.

Thank you for your assistance.

-mike-

Mike_5129

Post by Mike_5129 »

I purchased a Raspberry Pi and options from MCM electronics in June 2014. Part of my order included a 83-14403 Miniature Keyboard/Touchpad Wireless USB. (MCM Order 808987 June 6 2014)) I got everything up and running except the wireless Keypad/Touchpad. The Wireless Keypd/Touch pad has a full charge but does not respond when connected to the Model B Pi or to a laptop using Windows 7. I called MCM electronics for support but MCM has no information for this product and was told to contact ADA Fruit for support. Can this unit be exchanged or replaced?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

It does not look like you need support but a replacement. MCM should replace the keyboard for you. If they don't want to do that please come back and let me know.

Mike_5129

Post by Mike_5129 »

Thank Franklin,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”