faulty 5MP USB microscope

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tmig

faulty 5MP USB microscope

Post by tmig »

I hope this is the right place to post this. I bought a 5MP USB microscope last october and have hardly used it, so I decided to donate it to my local elementary school. Literally the day I was to bring it there (today) I tested it and it worked briefly, then the screen went gray and it no longer acquired images. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything with no luck. It did say it found the hardware and was installing drivers but there was no image. I feel bad to disappoint the school. I am wondering what my options are. Is there any warranty? Am I the only one who has had this kind of an early failure?

Tom M.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: faulty 5MP USB microscope

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Unfortunately, this is well outside of our warranty period. Can you try it again with your computer, where it used to work? Perhaps it's an issue with the school's computer.

tmig

Post by tmig »

It never made it to the school computer. I tried it on the original computer before bringing it to school as well as setting up a clean install on another after it failed. No luck. The first one I ordered came DOA with the same problem, which you replaced, so I am 2 for 2 bad microscopes.. This is not a product I would ever buy again or recommend. Cheap. I can see why the warranty is so short.

I looked around and I see this is a common failure for this device. Has anyone successfully revived one? I am an Senior EE and if somebody has successfully repaired it I would like to know.

Tom M.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

We have instituted a stricter QC process for this item as of a couple months ago with double-checking. It sounds like you ordered before that time! Please email support@adafruit with a link to this thread, we can try sending you a new microscope or giving you store credit.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”