Hello Limor!!!!

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maxx2014

Hello Limor!!!!

Post by maxx2014 »

Hi... Thanks for a moment of your time to read this.. Im writing to you for a bit of help. My son MacAlister (Max) is a huge fan of yours... Hes 11. He is an insanely smart kid.

Im writing to you for something i hope is very simple.. He knows all about you and is glued to your website constantly everyday. He has so many ideas and things he wants to build.. I can't afford it all in that Im a single Dad.

If you could at all possibly email him and just give him a few words of advice and a bit of mentorship I would greatly appreciate it. He really is an incredible kid.. Last years Halloween costume was a paper mache head with LEDS all over it.. I was sure he was going to catch himself on fire while walking around with a backpack full of batteries to power his project. Thats about as far as I go knowing how to help him.

He has so many ideas to build and I am not sure how to better steer him in his school to do all he sees ahead of him. He is entering 6th grade and has already been through 7th grade Algebra. He so smart he gets bored and sometimes hard to keep him focused and motivated.

So if you could simply email him, I would appreciate it and you will have a fan for life...

Max Livingston [email protected] is his email address..

Thank you for your time

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Hello Limor!!!!

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. tough call.

I understand where you're coming from. As a rule, we like anyone who likes electronics, and we *really* like kids who want to learn.

Thing is, I'm one of the dragons who guard Limor's engineering-and-invention time. At the rate requests come in, she could go 24-7 sending messages and doing interviews and still fall behind. Our job ranges from working out compromises to sending the police after people who try to get into the building under false pretenses.

We do try to look for the best possible solution though, and in this case I see a teachable moment: one of the bedrock facts of the Hacker/Maker community is that we respect the work. If you can show something you made.. hardware, software, design, documenation, whatever.. you're a member in good standing of the community. From there, the distance between a beginner and an alpha geek like Bunnie Huang is smaller than the distance between a Maker and a non-Maker.

6th to 7th grade is a good time to acquire the habit of showing what you've made. There's time to build a portfolio between now and graduation, and this is as good a place to start as any.

You mentioned a Halloween costume. Do you have any pictures you can post? Is he working on anything now that he'd like to show off? If so, post them here and we'll see what we can do.

427v8

Post by 427v8 »

First don't be posting his email addy on a public forum!

I assume he's active here?
Does he have any specific questions?

I'm not Limor, not even close, but I'm a professional Firmware engineer, amateur hacker and I would be happy to help as I'm sure lots of others would.

maxx2014

Post by maxx2014 »

No he isnt.. he is simply an incredible kid.. I monitor his email so I wasn't to woried.

I just want to do great things for him..

no specific project.. he just needs to know someone else be lives in him.

maxx2014

Post by maxx2014 »

So I guess I had to prove Max is Max and not some industrial spy..

His YouTube channel is...
www.youtube.com/channel/UCJRM-BBPBQYFHSRWVZOR37G
Attachments
IMG_7496.jpg
IMG_7496.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 314 times
IMG_1301.png
IMG_1301.png (153.93 KiB) Viewed 314 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

cool projects! have him show off his projects on an upcoming show and tell! here is the most recent one:
http://youtu.be/ZMgifzEYgug

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”