Raspberry Pi Model B starter pack (and Model B+)

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kcocaep

Raspberry Pi Model B starter pack (and Model B+)

Post by kcocaep »

I have been interested in getting started with Raspberry Pi and now that the Model B+ is out, I'm especially excited.

I was about to order the the Raspberry Pi Model B starter pack but noticed the disclaimer that says This pack is not compatible with the Model B+!
https://www.adafruit.com/products/955

Could you describe what is not compatible and possibly identify what items I could supplement the starter pack with?

Thanks

- J

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry Pi Model B starter pack (and Model B+)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The three main issues are the power supply, the GPIO header, and the case.

The B+'s power supply can handle up to 2A where previous versions could only take about 800mA. The 5v @ 1A power supply in the starter pack isn't enough to keep the B+ happy. You'd need this one instead: https://www.adafruit.com/products/276

The B+ also has 14 more GPIO pins than previous versions, so the Pi Cobbler and ribbon cable in the starter kit won't break out all the connections. We're still working on an update for that.

Finally, the B+ is a different shape than the RevA or RevB models, so it won't fit in the plastic case that comes with the starter pack.

The general-purpose parts.. cables, breakboard, components.. will work with anything.

lewkor

Post by lewkor »

I'm a bit puzzled by the comment on the power supply. When I look on the page for the B+ I see this comment and link:

5V @ 1 Amp USB power supply - you'll need this to power the Pi using a Micro USB cable. Tested and works perfectly!

The associated link is to this item: https://www.adafruit.com/products/501

That is the same power adaptor that has been recommended for the RPi A and B. Additionally the part you recommended has a 2.1mm barrel connector which isn't even available on the PI! Were you thinking of the BBB?

Please clarify.

adafruit_support_mike

It depends on whether you want the RasPi as a software platform or a hardware platform.

By itself, the B+ will run happily from a 1A power supply. If you want an extremely portable programming device that reads a few low-power sensors and lights a couple of LEDs, a 1A supply will serve you well.

If you want to do CPU-intensive work like video decoding or 3d rendering, or you want to plug multiple cable-powered devices into the USB ports, 1A won't take you very far. You'll see the same flaky performance and random rebooting as you would from a RevA or RevB RasPi.

The B+ power system was specifically designed to handle more power, so the capacity to use a 2A supply is there if your application needs it.

WRT the product page, it's one of those situations where any choice is arguably wrong. If we tell people they need a 2A supply, someone will say they can keep theirs running on 700mA and we're steering people toward unnecessarily expensive kit. If we tell people they need a 1A supply, someone else will complain that they can't jump-start a truck with it.

kcocaep

Post by kcocaep »

Thanks for the very informative responses! I appreciate the thorough explanation.

lewkor

Post by lewkor »

I thank you for your explanation also. You may consider providing a cable like a barrel power connector to a USB micro B so that using the 2A power source is more convenient for the RPi user.

adafruit_support_mike

Interesting suggestion.. I'll pass that along to the products team.

Thanks!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thanks, we're working on getting a good quality USB 2A supply :) We're also working fast on getting starter kits for B+, tey'll be blogged as soon as they're available, no ETA yet

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”