Suggestions for future projects...

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DavidKrutsko

Suggestions for future projects...

Post by DavidKrutsko »

Hi,

I was wondering if we are allowed to post suggestions for future projects. If so where... and if not.... why not?

DK==

adafruit

Re: Suggestions for future projects...

Post by adafruit »

sure, go ahead... theres a few kit makers who hang out here!

phil.drummond

Post by phil.drummond »

Announcer's Voice: "Though as imposable as it may seem, he got an idea" <Rocky & Bullwinkle>

My truck has a thing called OBD-II in it for communicating with the (way too many) computers.
I have a device that connects to the OBD-II port and allows my Palm Pilot to read and interact with the information available through that connection, but it's a diagnostic tool and while can be used to collect and log information, it's just a pain in the ass to use for that.

The Idea Part: An Arduino attached to the OBD-II port, supporting a GPS receiver and other sensors, to collect and make available centralized and collated information. It could have a simple user I/O "station" for additional data such as gas receipts, oil changes, and alerts from the OBD-II system. The data output would be through SD card and/or radio to another device (laptop, iPhone, PDA, whatever).

What would be required from a vendor would be a Shield providing the OBD-II signal level and what-have-you conversion for use with an Arduino and a dashboard mountable display/keyboard/switch-panel thing that wouldn't look like a hack-job (like the junk I have in there now :)
A really cool product would use one of the "delete pockets" found in the dashboards of all "modern" vehicles.

Just for fun, I pulled the cover off the interface I have and found the following:
*tt*://www.obdscan.net/
CPU - "Ubicom" SX28AC/DP AC0226AA //Some sort of ATMega-like dealie?
MAX232N // I know what this is...
LM393AN // and I know what that thing is mmm, OP AMP!
resistors, capasitors, a 7805, another 8-pin chip with nothing comprehendable on it, 4 transistors, and connectors.

I guess I could mess with attaching the Arduino to this thing, but why have two processors if the Arduino could be used... I -know- this thing ain't "open source" :)

I could do this, but I get started on these kinds of projects and lose interest before completing them. A turn-key Shield would be something I could stick with long enough to arrive at a completed project. :)

Phil

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

Sadly, the different manufacturers made a happy little mess of a "standard" by basically lumping different protocols under one name... I think the type you use is determined by which pins are active... This site has some info on them, as well as a project using an AVR controller (similar to what the Arduino uses, but a different model)

http://www.sterntech.com/obdii_protocols.php

There was another open source one I'm trying to remember, but haven't found yet.

eil

Post by eil »

Waaay too complicated to build something for this. They sell OBD-II bluetooth dongles:

http://forums.ladyada.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9100

With one of these, you can send the data straight to a cell phone, PDA, laptop, netbook, or Internet tablet and deal with the whole mess in software instead.

Here's one for the Nokia N800/N810: http://openbossa.indt.org.br/carman/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”