Newbie - as in knows nothing!

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psychoboyjack

Newbie - as in knows nothing!

Post by psychoboyjack »

Heya,

I've been reading a bunch about electronics since I saw the Ybox2 on Thinkgeek. Now I'm totally intrigued and wanting to try this stuff out for myself!

Trouble is I've never soldered or put anything together more complex than lego and some computer upgrading/tinkering. Is there a certain kit that I should get to start off with as a beginner or with sufficient instruction could I start on my dream project - the Fuzebox?

I'd love to make that thing and then put Tetris on there forever. I could play that game until the end of times. Haha!

I did read some kits that are for beginners, but there's a lot of them. Then some of them look incredibly easy like blinking christmas trees (I still don't get that joke. :))

Advice! Help! Hugs! Hehe. Anything would be appreciated. When I do have the funds I plan on getting the full kit from adafruit as it seems to have everything I would ever need.

Thanks in advance!

Advice, help, please!

adafruit

Re: Newbie - as in knows nothing!

Post by adafruit »

if you're looking at ez adafruit kits, something like a mintyboost, minipov or tvbgone (really, any $20 kit) will be fulfilling and hard-to-mess up

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I'd have to second that and cast my vote for the TV-B-Gone. Absolutely ESSENTIAL for any aspiring geek. It's fun to make and you can use it all the time! It'll impress your friends and confuse your enemies :wink:
I've got a whole army of TV-B-Gones that I've made.

A good intermediate kit after that would be the USBTiny, that's very helpful for making other electronics as well.

Good luck!

niksun

Post by niksun »

How about a...

blinking LED Christmas tree! or blinking LED valentine heart!

Just kidding :P :P :P

psychoboyjack

Post by psychoboyjack »

Someone has to explain that x-mas tree joke to me...

Thanks for the advice. I'll order one of them TV-B-Gone kits as soon financially possible! Though I want to get that Fuzebox as soon as I can, damn it. It looks too cool not to do play with! It would be nice if the SD card and power button worked (from what I read it's still a work in progress for those options!) so maybe a second version will yield those options. Hmm...

Perhaps my next step could be the YBox2? Little pricey but it does look hella fun. I'm tempted to go to a garage sale just to try and find a cool retro tv to use for it! :)

Thanks again for the help. I feel completely overwhelmed at all this stuff. Ask me to analysis Shakespeare or do a comparative essay between two epic poems and I can do that with no sweat. Soldering these tiny things? I broke my cousin's iPod trying to pry it open. Bah! :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”