How to break "Break Away Headers"???

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
george_graves

How to break "Break Away Headers"???

Post by george_graves »

Maybe it's the headers I am getting (made by 3M) but I'm having a heck of a time breaking these off cleanly. I'm using two pairs of pliers and then try for a quick snap. Problem is, they seem to like to crumble at that point, and not snap clean - leaving me a few pins too short or too long.

What am I doing wrong? Are you guys cutting these with something? 0.1" spacing doesn't really let you get in there with something to cut it with.

What are you guys doing?

Thanks - and sorry, I know it's a silly question....

eil

Re: How to break "Break Away Headers"???

Post by eil »

I use side cutters and just literally cut the headers. Once in awhile the plastic breaks in the wrong spot, but it's never been bad enough to lose pins.

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

If that fails, try setting them flat on a cutting board (or anything sturdy you can cut on without ruining it) and use an X-Acto knife on them. Put the tip on the board and slowly lever it down, like a paper-cutter.

Just make sure to hold both sides down, so they don't fly away... And keep your fingers on the non-sharp side of the knife. You want to keep them out of harm's way! :)

jarv

Post by jarv »

i often have the same problem with female headers, for male headers i pretty much just use a diagonal cutter to snap them clean.

ran talbott

Post by ran talbott »

A lot of the headers I've been getting lately seem to be made from a more-brittle plastic (probably in part because I've been getting some cheap Chinese parts, instead of the "industrial-grade" stuff I used to get at surplus stores when I lived in Silicon Valley), so I've been seeing more "unintended" breaks, too.

I've started using a BANNED saw to score them, even if they have some scoring molded in. Just a few strokes, not trying to cut all the way through. I may saw a little deeper if the pins are of a type that has given me trouble before. I use bent-nose needle-nosed pliers to hold the smaller piece, gripping close to the intended breaking point.

I get about 99% good breaks now.

Ran

mrtaylor

Post by mrtaylor »

i use a dremel or tin snips if I am in a hurry.

ran talbott

Post by ran talbott »

I use a BANNED saw (you can get BANNED saw blades for X-acto knife handles) to score female headers, and to deepen the scoring on male headers if I get a batch that doesn't always break cleanly.

Tallscreen

Post by Tallscreen »

Weirdly, I tend to find I get better results with a blunter pair of heavy duty cutters rather than a sharp pair of cutters.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

Thank Ran - I'll pick up some "saw" blades. Great tip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”