Couple of quick questions

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
HitokiriMoridin

Couple of quick questions

Post by HitokiriMoridin »

Hi there! I'm just wondering about a couple of things:
1) My serial port is impossible to get to with the MiniPOV if the board is stuck to the battery pack. I had to peel the board off the pack and stick the pack to the side of my computer with the double-sided foam tape so it wouldn't be hanging by two threads, so-to-speak, from the PCB. What I'm wondering is if there's any reason I shouldn't just replace the double-sided tape with velcro strips. This would make it easier for me to stick the pack to the computer, and remove it and stick it back to the board. As it is, the tape has already lost most of its stickiness. Could the velcro harm the MiniPOV in any way?

2) Is it possible to use LEDs of different colors? If so, where can I get them?

Thanks!
- Moridin

mtbf0

Re: Couple of quick questions

Post by mtbf0 »

HitokiriMoridin wrote:Hi there! I'm just wondering about a couple of things:
1) My serial port is impossible to get to with the MiniPOV if the board is stuck to the battery pack. I had to peel the board off the pack and stick the pack to the side of my computer with the double-sided foam tape so it wouldn't be hanging by two threads, so-to-speak, from the PCB. What I'm wondering is if there's any reason I shouldn't just replace the double-sided tape with velcro strips. This would make it easier for me to stick the pack to the computer, and remove it and stick it back to the board. As it is, the tape has already lost most of its stickiness. Could the velcro harm the MiniPOV in any way?
i'd be worried about static discharge when separating the velcro. have you considered a serial cable? must be wired straight through, though. no null modems.
2) Is it possible to use LEDs of different colors? If so, where can I get them?
sure, if you can find leds that will come on with less than 3v. generally, anything but red will need at least 3.2v. if you do find something pay attention to the voltage drop and forward current specs and select appropriate current limiting resistors.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i use a plain pass-through serial cable
but i think your velco suggestion should be OK too!

HitokiriMoridin

Post by HitokiriMoridin »

Thanks for the responses! =)
mtbf0 wrote:i'd be worried about static discharge when separating the velcro. have you considered a serial cable? must be wired straight through, though. no null modems.
I figured the velcro would be cheaper =P
mtbf0 wrote:sure, if you can find leds that will come on with less than 3v. generally, anything but red will need at least 3.2v. if you do find something pay attention to the voltage drop and forward current specs and select appropriate current limiting resistors.
Well, I'm actually a computer science student, I was just doing this for fun. I don't really know much about electrical engineering. That sounds a little too complicated for me. I guess I'll just stick to the reds =P
Thanks though!
ladyada wrote:i use a plain pass-through serial cable
but i think your velco suggestion should be OK too!
I might resort to that serial cable if it's not too pricey.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

i tend to misplace the double sided tape and wind up using rubberbands.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”