Minipov ideas

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tkerby

Minipov ideas

Post by tkerby »

Three ideas (which may have been considered before)

- Why not use the eeprom to store the messages as a string. That way avrdude or similar can write direct to the flash and by loading a text file in binary mode you should be able to directly send your strings. A special character could be used to terminate strings such as a double line return in the file

- With the chemical / uv version, how about using an optical encoder to measure distance travelled along the surface thus controlling font width. A mouse wheel would be ideal for this. I'm also thinking it would then make a viable controller for projects like the bikes that write on the road with chalk or a low cost tshirt printer (pens attached to solenoids and dragging the tshirt past the wheel

- Would it work to have three colums of leds in red, green and blue and set a single pixel delay between them to colour mix and create a multicolour version?

mtbf0

Re: Minipov ideas

Post by mtbf0 »

tkerby wrote:Three ideas (which may have been considered before)

- Why not use the eeprom to store the messages as a string. That way avrdude or similar can write direct to the flash and by loading a text file in binary mode you should be able to directly send your strings. A special character could be used to terminate strings such as a double line return in the file
there's a lot more flash than there is eeprom, so the chemical pov uses flash. after all, you've got to fire up avrdude, anyway.
- With the chemical / uv version, how about using an optical encoder to measure distance travelled along the surface thus controlling font width. A mouse wheel would be ideal for this. I'm also thinking it would then make a viable controller for projects like the bikes that write on the road with chalk or a low cost tshirt printer (pens attached to solenoids and dragging the tshirt past the wheel
i've been thinking about this apropos an old testament magic eight ball project i have in mind.
- Would it work to have three colums of leds in red, green and blue and set a single pixel delay between them to colour mix and create a multicolour version?
or one column of rgb leds. color mixing requires a lot more computational oomph, higher interrupt rates to vary intensities, but sure.

lmwangi

Post by lmwangi »

How about adding a way to stream text to the pov?
<Disclaimer: Now I go wild> Maybe coupling it with http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/ ... 6111.shtml to have simple tcpip functionality to read a special daemon that streams text from rss say from slashdot? That'd be cool... If we need to wave it around, we can have a motor do that <end wild mode>

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

the attiny2313 on the minipov3 has a uart and the pins it uses are not being used for anything else. should be easy to connect to an ftdi usb-ttl serial cable that is used to program the dc boarduino.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”