PROGRAMMER?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
David

PROGRAMMER?

Post by David »

hi, im kind of new to this, and i would like to know what i will need to make these things in the sense of the ic, could someone direct me to a suitable pic programmer, do i need to purchase any kind of special software?
any help is appreciated, thanks

bobthejazzer

Re: PROGRAMMER?

Post by bobthejazzer »

No purchase is neccesary in terms of software. Fallow the links on the minipov instructions (http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html) to find where to download the winavr program. Once you install this you pretty much have everything you need, other that the source code.

fallow the link above for complete instructions

mtbf0

Re: PROGRAMMER?

Post by mtbf0 »

all of the necessary software is open source.

the microcontroller used in this project is not a pic. it is an atmel avr, a much more rational architecture with a nice flat memory space and a hardware stack. (until relatively recently no pics had a hardware stack deeper than 3 levels, which is why there was no support for them in the open source gcc compiler.)

pics require a high voltage programmer. avrs can be programmed with very simple hardware using the same voltage levels at which the chips run. in the case of the minipov3 the programmer, (consisting of 3 diodes, 3 resistors and a db-9 connector), is built into the device.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”