initialization error programming minipov2

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DrXenon

initialization error programming minipov2

Post by DrXenon »

I have an IBM laptop (model T20) that I'm trying to use to program my minipov2. I'm getting the following error:

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check

The minipov displays the preprogrammed sequential LED pattern, and there's only one way to solder the parallel port connector so I'm pretty sure I built it correctly. I'm using a straight-through DB25 Male to Female cable.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

DrXenon

Post by DrXenon »

I forgot to mention that the LEDs stop flashing when I attach the cable to it.

DrXenon

Post by DrXenon »

Hee. I tried programming it using my desktop machine and it worked. My laptop parallel port must be flaky or something.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

weird! there might be something the BIOS that is setting the parallel port strange. would you mind checking your BIOS settings for me? i can put up a note on the webpage, it 'just worked' for me on every computer i tried. granted i dont own a laptop :)

DrXenon

Post by DrXenon »

I checked the BIOS setting: it was set to Bi-directional, the other options being ECP and EPP. I have no easy way to verify that the port functions correctly because my printer is USB.

I tried looking in the avrdude documentation (such as it is) for port setting preferences but I couldn't find anything.

pfeif

same problem

Post by pfeif »

I have the same problem with the miniPOV. To what value should I set my parallel port? What was the pc set to so that it worked?

thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. let me look into this... ill try setting my parallel port to different settings and see whats up. in the meanwhile, try another computer (just in case)

pfeif

Post by pfeif »

i tried two boxes: one with windows 98 and one with XP. both gave me the same error messages as above. i tried all the possibilities for the parallel port and they all gave the same message. maybe i need to run install_giveio.bat each time i change the port setting?

when i plug the minipov into the port it powers up. each of the LED's flash in sequence, but are dimmer than when the battery is turned on. i am making sure that the battery is on.

pfeif

oops

Post by pfeif »

the computers were working fine. i messed up while soldering. i checked the connections of the 25 pins to the board. one pin was not making contact. one pin!

i thought 96% was good enough to get credit.

thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

no partial credit when it comes to soldering!
im glad you figured it out, tho

mradakovitz

Post by mradakovitz »

I am getting the same messages that DrXenon first posted back on May 6. I have checked all 25 solder connections to the board, varied the BIOS settings, tried parallel port diagnostic tools available online, ran Dell diagnostic tools but to no avail. I am running Windows 98 w/ no alternative computer to try. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DrXenon

Post by DrXenon »

Did your board flash the LEDs in linear sequence, as it's programmed to do out of the box? Do you have the power switch on when you try to program it?

Post by Guest »

Yes, the board flashes sequentially as pre-programmed and yes, the battery power is turned on when the board is plugged into the parallel port. I think my next step might have to be buying a parallel cable and trying out my printer that is currently USB. Maybe my parallel port is bad even though the diagnostics show it ok. I've also cleaned the port from the inside of the computer (very dusty).

flameboy

Post by flameboy »

DrXenon and bpw try going into the bios, and change the interrupt for the Parallel port. It is probably on 3bc and should be set to 378. For some reason a lot of laptops and some desktops have their bios setup like this.

phlegm13

program

Post by phlegm13 »

when I run make program_minipov

I get:

*** No rule to make target 'program_minipov'. Stop.

What should I do?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”