experimenting with the board

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zaphoid

experimenting with the board

Post by zaphoid »

1 Mini POV3 from the kit
2 Windows Vista
3 USB to serial
4 when first power up, LED's light in sequence
5 I want to ask a question, so no more of these...

Got have the miniPOV3, and it seems to work OK.

As I learn about the AVR chip, came across the AVR Studio 4 from ATMEL. I have installed version 4.16. I am attempting to follow the instructions found here http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?modu ... ewArticles
in an article called "Newbie's Guide To AVR Development"

Is it possible to use Studio 4 to load a program to the miniPOV3? Tool/ProgramAVR/Connect asks me a question about Platform and Com.

Any guidance to offer up?

adafruit

Re: experimenting with the board

Post by adafruit »

sadly, you will have to use avrdude. avrstudio wants a 'real' programmer

zaphoid

Post by zaphoid »

That's BANNED.

The AVR butterfly board works with Studio 4. If the circuit shown in the butterfly documentation (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... oc4271.pdf, page 36) was recreated, then would Studio 4 think it was talking to an AVR butterfly board? The pins for RXD, TXD and GND are all that's needed.

Or is there some other way Studio 4 knows what board it is hooked to...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not sure, the butterfly may have a bootloader. its really a completely different board!

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

adafruit wrote:the butterfly may have a bootloader
'tis true.

why the hesitation to use avrdude? everything you need to know about using it with the minipov can be learnt from a peak at the minipov makefile.

zaphoid

Post by zaphoid »

mtbf0,
I managed to follow the software instructions, but I found them difficult.

In the way back machine, I used the command line (and the vi editor) on UNIX boxes to program in C++. When was the last time I used a command line for a dang thing?

So, while I "got it", and made it work, I don't think my sisters kids will "get it." I bet they have never seen the command line. Ask a 16 year old what DOS is? They got no clue. I also find the makefile stuff a little strange.

If I can use the Programmers Notepad (that came with WinAVR) to compile the C code, then use Studio 4 to read the Extcoff (.cof )files and program the chip, then no more command line.

So, I bought this kit to see if they could learn from it, and have some fun waving messages through the air. I learned some stuff. The way this is, it will not work for them. It might make them afraid, timid, less likely to have an open mind.

I would hate to blow $200 on a Boe-Bot from Parallax just to encourage them to try something new. But their stuff is...is...dirt simple, fool proof and works.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

dunno. i seem to have the opposite problem.

i've never been able to figure out an ide.

seems like the biggest problems, other than programming issues, people have with projects based on the minipov stem from not having a clue about file systems and windows' seemingly random assignment of com port numbers. a few minutes of instruction in the wonders of cd and pwd might be a gift that keeps on giving. don't know what to do about the com ports, but you might have the same issues in an ide.

i hates meeces to pieces...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”