Wireless minipov3

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
athlon2005

Wireless minipov3

Post by athlon2005 »

Hi

I wanted to make my minipov3 into a wireless device so that I dont have to connect the serial port everytime I want to change the program. I was wondering if I could extend it to real time functionality so that can upload program wirelessly and it will display the new text.

I need help with this. Pls tell me if I would need to modify the programming for wireless and real time.

Sid

TheAnt

Re: Wireless minipov3

Post by TheAnt »

Forgive my exhumation of an old thread. Sometimes a year or two makes new answers!

I found this thread in a search because it is very nearly exactly what I want to do. It looks like the guy joined made a post and left. For what I want to do, I bet there have been some technological improvements and price drops to make it more viable.

All I care to do is have a USB interface to Xbee wireless to Xbee to serial display with minimal power needed on the door unit. Then again, we can get some decent storage of power on the back side of the door with a few D cells.

In our building folks put post-its with their status. One group in the building has a bit more sophisticated looking 1" x 4" slot for those engraved plastic signs saying, "In phone conference", "out", "in", "do not disturb", "come on in", and even one had "disturbed", particularly appropriate for that guy's status, heh.

Changing those wirelessly from their desk via a Window app talking through USB to Xbee, and the novelty of using any kind of lighted display would make them very popular.
============================================================
To take it a step further, we have a centralized office sign-out boards that have columns for in/out/lunch/home, a section for destination or other notes, a column for return date/time, and another column wherein most put their mobile numbers. Dedicated aren't they?

Anyhow, the height on those boards is 1" per row so a 1"x20 or 24" strip display could handle all the columns. Signing out from the desk would even be better for these.

Given all of this, anybody got some cheap hacks or ideas? I have seen where some outfit wants wireless name tags for conventioneers. Nice novelties for the market I'd expect.

--TheAnt

TheAnt

Post by TheAnt »

Oops, posted to wrong thread... sorry

selva

Post by selva »

If you’re wondering what Persistence of Vision is you’re not alone. Some say it’s a bug in our biology but it comes about because of the chemical electric nature of our eyes. When we see light, it kicks off a chemical reaction and we get a zap to the brain that tells us what we’re seeing. The thing is that this chemical reaction takes some time and as a result the light that we saw could be long gone but the chemical reaction still carries on telling us its there. We’ve all seen this before when waving a sparkler in the air at Guy Fawkes when moving it quickly through the air – it leaves what looks to us to be a trail.

Regards,
Selva
Last edited by adafruit_support_rick on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising URL

jhonmarvi

Post by jhonmarvi »

This is an inexpensive Persistence of Vision (POV) toy, which is designed for beginners in electronics. You swing this little thing around to reveal a customizable message or image through it's 8 red LEDs. It has 4 holes for mounting on bikes, fans, and anything else that swings around. You can purchase this kit from the Make Store.

tldr

Post by tldr »

athlon2005 wrote:Hi

I wanted to make my minipov3 into a wireless device so that I dont have to connect the serial port everytime I want to change the program. I was wondering if I could extend it to real time functionality so that can upload program wirelessly and it will display the new text.

I need help with this. Pls tell me if I would need to modify the programming for wireless and real time.

Sid
the tiny2313 on the minipov has a uart on a couple of pins that aren't brought out. you could connect these to an xbee, though i think the xbee is nominally a 3.3 volt device and am not sure the two aa's on the minipov would keep it fed, but you could always go with three batteries and a 3.3v regulator.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”