minipov usb port com1 help

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

FIRST: Are you using a Minipov3 from a kit or from DIY? Make sure you mention that in your post

Minipov3 from ladyada.net

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECOND: What OS and computer are you using?

Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro (Dual boot, I can use either OS for this project, I am going for Windows though)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRD: Are you using a USB adapter or a serial port?

I am using the USB adapter that was suggested from ladyada.net

FOURTH: Did the minipov light up at all when you turned it on?

Yes, it is running through the lights one by one as I type.

FIFTH: What -specifically- isn't working?

I followed the instructions http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/solder.html perfectly.
Default light cycle is working.

I followed the instructions http://ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html but got stuck.
I dont know what to call my minipov, I dont have a com1 or anything like that.

I can't figure out what my device is located. I don't have any Com1. And, where is normally shows it I have "Other devices" sub directory "USB2.0-Serial"

SIXTH: Post screenshots (NOT copy&paste) of what is happening

let me see here...

SEVENTH: Post clear, in-focus, not-blurry, easy to see photos of the top and bottom of the kit. If the photos are blurry, unfocused, and difficult to see they will only make it harder to debug what is going on

I dont have camera, but the minipov is working perfectly.

Please help! <3
Attachments
minipov ports.png (57.82 KiB) Viewed 6430 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: minipov usb port com1 help

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is a yellow flag indicating a problem of some kind with your "USB2.0-Serial" device. Most likely it couldn't locate the driver for it. That's why there is no COM port.

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

There is a yellow flag indicating a problem of some kind with your "USB2.0-Serial" device. Most likely it couldn't locate the driver for it. That's why there is no COM port.
Interesting, I did install the driver that was specifically for this usb that is also supposed to work with the minipov.

I got the usb converter and the driver link from http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=18

I wonder what I can do.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Try right-clicking on the device in the device manager and see if it will give you a more specific error.

If it is a driver problem, it should give you the option to re-install the driver from a specific location.

I have heard that Windows 7 is a little more finicky with reagard to drivers, but I don't have any first-hand experience.

opossum

Post by opossum »

Check the VID/PID. It may need a different driver.

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?p=79065#p79065

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

Check the VID/PID. It may need a different driver.

viewtopic.php?p=79065#p79065
Under hardware IDs it show the following.

VID_1A86&PID_7523&REV_0252
VID_1A86&PID_752

I am still unable to find the correct driver.

The USB2.0 to RS232 converter did come with a mini writable disk with no information. My problem is that my macbook pro does not take mini disks :/ so have to find the driver online.

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

I did try the driver from http://www.winchiphead.com/download/CH341/CH341SER.ZIP but it in German I think and the driver is completely confusing. Can anyone one help with that maybe?

I was able to get my desktop to turn on to try and see if i could make an iso or something. But, it could not copy it. So then I just tried to install it, but it is corrupted! That irritates me because it came with the USBtoSERIAL from ladyada site.

I cant find a working driver online, can anyone help!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi please don't post in multiple threads - it makes it hard to help you if the information is in 5 places!

konnyaro

Post by konnyaro »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”