Waving

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimi

Waving

Post by jimi »

I've noticed that it seems to be an art with persistence of vision. If you move it too fast, it may appear that the letters are in the wrong order. Moving it too slowly and you do not see anything other than the leds being illuminated.

Out of curiosity, what methods are you using to display your POVs? In the Tutorial, the photo is shown being wave, but also taken over a time elapsed photo, etc. Understood that this method isn't really meant to show the message, but as a means for testing,etc.

So, that being said, what methods are you guys using to calculate rotations, width needed for rotation for optimal display etc?

adafruit

Re: Waving

Post by adafruit »

we like to wave but you can also put it on a fan (balanced) or a bicycle wheel, or a noisemaker, etc. :)

jimi

Post by jimi »

Based on my observations, waving is extremely hard to time. You have to get the width right, as well as the horizontal speed, or else it gets jumped. Also, it may not be intuitive to everyone, but it is going to be backwards 1/2 the time waving it! LOL

Just pinging everyone to see what methods they have used for mounting it. I was thinking of trying to power with a continuous rotation servo, but my gut feeling is it will not provide enough torque to spin it, given the weight, and could end up stripping it, or burn the motor out.

I was also thinking of mounting it on a light weight board, and drilling it out to have a handle, that could spin freely, like a pin wheel. Perhaps doing a light-weight fabrication using bearings to reduce friction as well.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

pick something symmetric!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”