i can't display more than 60 lines

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pfeif

i can't display more than 60 lines

Post by pfeif »

I have been trying to enter codes of varying lengths. It works fine up until about 60 lines of message. When i try to load a hex file with more than 60 lines, the LED's don't blink at all. Is there a way to extend the number of message lines in the code for more than 60 lines?

thanks.

chathvelve

Same problem

Post by chathvelve »

I am running into the same problem.
I thought at first that maybe it was because the counter variable was a uint8_t, so i changed it to uint16_t
but it still doesnt work.
I've got a message that is 140 lines long, and I think it mas something to do with memory space because even if I put the line count below 60, it will not work if I have all the lines loaded into the memory.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. thats very strange. there should be enough ROM space. Im thinking maybe I didnt do the right thing to place the array in ROM instead of RAM? I'll look into it!

chathvelve

EEPROM size

Post by chathvelve »

I looked up the attiny2313 and it it advertized as having
2K Bytes of In-System Self-Programmable Flash, 128 Bytes In-System Programmable EEPROM, 128 Bytes Internal SRAM.
This is my first experience with microcontroller programming, but my first thought is that maybe the image array is being stored in the EEPROM with the program itself, rather than in the flash memory.
But then, since I am new at this, I don't know how to go about putting things in RAM instead of ROM.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Oops, turns out I wasnt using ROM, i was using RAM. I've uploaded a new zip file including one file "largeimag" that will allow for very large images. try it out and see how it runs!

chathvelve

Thanks

Post by chathvelve »

Thanks for the quick follow-up. spent about 8 hours fiddling and hacking and couldn't get much farther. It will be educational for me to review what you changed to get it working.
~Chathvelve

chathvelve

Post by chathvelve »

Do I get a cookie for helping solve the mystery? :P

(::)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

umm, you get a cyber-cookie!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”