can programing before burning the fuse kill the IC?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lemonasd

can programing before burning the fuse kill the IC?

Post by lemonasd »

So i am building minipov3 as DIY project.tried with windows 7 and XP to programme it using usb adapter. With xp it shows for me com19 which in cmd turns me error that this file cannot be opened. And with windows 7 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1. Before trying to programe it when i turn it on no led was lighting up, but i figured that happened because the microchip was not programed. But i forgot before programing it to burn the fuses. So my question is what can be wrong? did the programing before burning the fuse could kill the IC? Soldered everything in place. All the conections are good and no bad bridges. Checked it with multymeter multiple times just to be sure.

adafruit

Re: can programing before burning the fuse kill the IC?

Post by adafruit »

the fuses should be burned, post up a photo of your kit and we'll check it out!

lemonasd

Post by lemonasd »

i am assembling it myself, not from the kit. So i guess pictures wont do any good?
But my question is can my IC be killed becuase i tried to program it before burning the fuses, because while it tried to program it (and afterwards trying to burn the fuses) first led lights up and the third is blinking...?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sorry, we can't offer support to DIY kits - so many things can go wrong with selecting the parts, etc. good luck!

Agent_24

Post by Agent_24 »

No, programming first then burning fuses shouldn't cause any damage. But if the default fuses are completely wrong for your program not much will happen.

Go through the standard things, re-check connections, make sure you have parts around the right way etc. If you made your own PCB or something then you should check this for errors.

You could still post photos of course and hope to get some unofficial support...

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

and... programming the fuses incorrectly can effectively kill the chip unless you have access to a high voltage programmer. disabling ~reset or selecting the wrong clock source are a couple of things that will make it impossible to program the chip. so, uh, what fuse settings did you apply?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”