Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dread-eye

Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

Post by dread-eye »

I've built the kit and bought the DB-9 adaptor. Now I need help installing the software on a Mac. The online instructions say:

"Just do a "./configure" then "make; make install" as usual"

I have no idea what this means. I downloaded 'avrdude-5.1' but don't know what to do with it. This is my first time doing anything like this. Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You've got a source-code distribution. You don't want that. The MiniPOV tutorial links to an executable version of avrdude:
Step 8b. Download patched avrdude if necessary

For some reason, FTDI-chip based adapters need some special help programming these chips. You'll need to use a modified verson of avrdude so download the package from here. Replace /usr/local/AVRMacPack/bin/avrdude and /usr/local/AVRMacPack/bin/avrdude.conf with the patched versions you just downloaded.

ceratophyllum

Re: Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

Post by ceratophyllum »

The easiest way to install avrdude on Mac OS X is to use macports.

Once you have macports installed simply run this as root(sudo) and go have tea while it all compiles:

Code: Select all

port install avr-gcc avr-libc avrdude
and you're done. At least with the software install. I'm using a PL2303 serial adaptor and while it is crazy-slow, it gets the job done.

Btw, you'll have to make a few changes to the minipov .c files to get them to compile, regardless of whether you're on OS X or Linux. The error message is really weird and it took me forever to find out the stuff below. Luckily, it's just a few lines that need changing.

SIGNAL( SIG_TIMER1_COMPA)
should change to:

SIGNAL(TIMER1_COMPA_vect)
and

PGM_P largeimage_p PROGMEM = large_image;
should now be:

const largeimage_p PROGMEM = large_image;
I don't understand what the COMPA_vect stuff is...I'm only a beginner at AVRs. About all I can tell is it has something to do with timers.... :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”