Has anyone written an ASCII converter for this thing?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Has anyone written an ASCII converter for this thing?

Post by Guest »

I'm starting to realize how much work it will be to create led flash patterns for the entire ASCII alphabet, but if noone else has done one yet, i'm gonna have to do it :)

I'm doing it by expanding the array of the minipov.c sample code into a two-dimensional static array, each character is seven lines wide. From the test code i've done so far it seems nice and fast!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i think drewish (http://drewish.com/blogger/archives/200 ... v_toy.html) did this, but his code is for a different micro. best of luck! it would be a great addition, please email me if/when you finish and ill put it up & credit you

remmelt

Post by remmelt »

I made a python script that does that, it parses a textfile with the letters, and then pastes it into the .c which can then be compiled and uploaded. Pretty crude, but it works just fine.

If anyone is interested, let me know! It's GPL-ed, for what it's worth.

Post by Guest »

I have been developing a ceiling fan sign for the last 10 years.
To convert the ascii set characters into graphics on the rotating display, I bought a software package from www.webcatering.com/font2bmp/
It converts any windows font character into a .bmp graphic file.
I then wrote a conversion program using Liberty Basic which reads the .bmp character and outputs a machine language table that the microcontroller understands.
Since the sign has 32 vertical pixels and has a 1mm resolution, this is the easiest method. The Basic program can convert any .bmp file so CocaCola and Budweiser are just as easily displayed.

Buck Stein
[email protected]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”