Assembled POV??

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
peaberry

Assembled POV??

Post by peaberry »

Is it possible to get a Mini POV 4 fully assembled? I am 13yrs old (my dad is sitting next to me as I post!!) and the POV is only one part of my project. I do not want the headache of troubleshooting the whole because of soldering error --- I will be happy to do soldering when I get my project workinG !!! --- Any way to get one assembled?

Of course, will pay for the extra cost? Hope it will be reasonable??

Thanks.

PS: Are there any pre-assembled ones they have in their "labs" that Ada is willing to sell ? Like the ones pictured on the website etc...

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Assembled POV??

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We do not sell these kit assembled. You might be able to find someone on the forums that would be willing to do it for you. But soldering is not that difficult to do and many people your age and younger have done some great work. I recommend that you read through our soldering guide and watch the video here:
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... -soldering

tldr

Post by tldr »

hi,

i assembled my minipov4 yesterday. i turned it on and it ran just fine. i used a publicly available iron with a tiny grungy conical tip set to 700 degrees fahrenheit with lead free solder. as a result it took forever to heat up pads and leads and the build ran a couple of hours.

i would suggest using a clean small, (component spacing is a little tighter than on most kits), chisel tip and lead bearing solder. be careful of the polarity on the leds, the diodes, and the electrolytics, take your time, and you should have no problems.

this kit has a potentiometer to adjust its speed, which is a really great feature.

it is ungodly bright to the point that it may be viewable in daylight. my girlfriend swears and closes her eyes when i turn it on. for use in a small area it might be wise to replace the eight 47ohm current limiting resistors with maybe 220's or 330's. you could set up one of the leds on a breadboard and see what you can stand to look at.

peaberry

Post by peaberry »

Yes, I have done soldering on other kits. The iron I have at home is not of high temperature, so in trying to melt the solder at times I have ripped the board. Until I buy a stronger and sharper iron, I do not want the headache.

Well, I will have to spring for a better iron???

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A good iron definitely helps. But it does not have to be an expensive one. The 30W irons we have in the store do a good job for a reasonable price: https://www.adafruit.com/products/180

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”