programming issues

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Fred113

programming issues

Post by Fred113 »

Hi,

Programming the spoke POV

Basically I've tried from two different programmes to connect with the SpokePOV without success and confirmed that everything is wired correctly.
1. All the LEDs light up in sequence with power on, batteries in.
2. The dongle transmits power to the LED from the port without batteries, so assume configured correctly
3. used avrdude_gui.exe to program the chip, and giveio installed on XP
4. error said the AVR could not be identified, same message when not connected to port
5. image writing from spokepov.exe
6. error message gave general error, could not read address 0

Is the alternative that the Ateml chip is faulty? I'm no expert, so I need to take advice on this. :?

Regards,

Simon

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. that is wierd. well, if the LEDs are lighting up in sequence, that means the microcontroller is OK. avrdude gui i havent tried...i only use the command line. do you have a scope? can you try it on another computer? i tested it on a few computers.

Fred113

Post by Fred113 »

Thanks for the reply. I did try on another machine, and error said .dll file was missing when I opened spokepove.exe.

Just to recap, i need to install giveio.bat, then program via avrdude_gui.exe the chip with the spokepov.hex file, then write the image using spokepov.exe. I could use the cmd line, but why would a gui make a diff?

Access to scope. How do I use one? What do I look for?

Regards,

Simon

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you dont need to program anything with avrdude...you just want to use the spokepov.exe file. avrdude is only if you want to mess with the firmware, which seems unlikely. theres already firmware on there
what .dll is missing when you try the other computer?

Fred113

Post by Fred113 »

One thing I have just noticed is that one of the resistors provided with the dongle is a 47ohm, not 1K as on the schematic. I soldered it into R4. I guess this would be worth fixing?

Other than that the dongle sockets match the orientation of the notch on both the boards.

The spokepov.exe program did not connect on previous try.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Simon

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

im sure i just forgot a step or soemthing. the 47ohm resistor is correct...in fact its more reliable w/it

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ugh. i seem to have swapped R1 and R4 in the parts description....R1 should be 47ohm, not R4. the website has been fixed. thanks for bringing this up

verify error

Post by Guest »

Hi, thanks for the fix. The addresses have been writing to the chip. It takes about 321 secs. The LEDs do not scroll or flash after writing. When I verfify the write, it goes through each address, and finishes with verify failed. So I guess the info is not passing onto the chip. I've tried several times. Also offset rotation could not be set.

What do you suggest now?

Regards,

Simon

Fred113

all clear

Post by Fred113 »

I finally established that the magent pulses the senor and the LED's flash.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I'm really pleased with the result.

Regards,

Simon

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

after "writing" to the eeprom...try "reading" instead of "verify" does it look right? also try resetting (quick button press) before each command to make sure its reset...if you can write and read then you should be able to set the rotation no prob.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”