MiniPOV size

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tinyblob

MiniPOV size

Post by tinyblob »

Hi there,
I spin fire staff, and my hackerish tendencies have been screaming at me to look at combining POV with a staff, as a replacement for fire.
Bunnie Huangs awesome Kinetic Glowsticks and accompanying article really pushed me over the edge, so now i have to do it.

Now, i'm far more of a software guy than hardware. But i'm desperate to learn, and the MiniPOV kit looks like a great start, but way too thick to be implemented into a "fire staff". I figure if i replace the PCB with my own wiring, i can make this relatively thin, has anyone done this?
How easy will it be to add more LEDs?

I know these questions are very fundamental, i'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction before i jump in and start working things out :)

Thanks all!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you're rewiring it, you can make it thin, but it wont be as structural without a circuit board. you can add more LEDs, up to 14... but you will have to update the code to do this which may require a little learning/work.

tinyblob

Post by tinyblob »

ladyada wrote:but you will have to update the code to do this which may require a little learning/work.
I wouldn't be happy any other way! I just wanted to make sure that buying the kit was a good idea.

As for the structure, i'll come up with something :)

PS. Up to 14 additional LEDs? Or 14 in total?

mux

Post by mux »

I too spin firestaff (ok, not much anymore, but sometimes), and I got thinking about this earlier tonight, actually! :D

Is there such a thing as "ring"-shaped LEDs? If so, I would think that building a modified SpokePOV kit would be completely badass... 30 LED's at each end of the staff, with the wiring going up through the staff and the circuitry in the center...

tinyblob

Post by tinyblob »

awesome mux.
i thought about the round leds, i've never seen any. what i thought instead was that i'd set up three banks of leds, in a triangular formation around the staff.
if you can have 16 leds in total, i imagine you could run three banks of X leds in parallel. so they'd be pulsing at the same time.
i also thought about running the circuitry back to the center, but i don't like the idea of cutting into the staff to install the microprocessor and batteries. i'm a contact staffer and the more structural changes i make, the weaker it'll be.
what i'm thinking is a replacement "wick", which screws on in the same way and is roughly the same size. that means i could probably get away with attaching AA or AAA batteries to each side of the staff. it's difficult to explain without sketches!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”