SpokePov troubleshooting

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ice109

SpokePov troubleshooting

Post by ice109 »

i put together a spokepov kit and i get an IO error at 0. i looked over all the soldering and didnt mess anything and nothing is shorting so im wondering what the problem could be. i noticed though that one of the pins on the upload header on the main pcb, not the dongle pcb, is a little higher than the rest so i was thinking maybe its not actually making contact with anything. all i was wondering if i would be able to tell if the proc is messed up. the board does the little LED test where it lights all of em up consecutively. does that mean the proc is fine? any other ideas?

adafruit

Re: SpokePov troubleshooting

Post by adafruit »

ice109 wrote:i put together a spokepov kit and i get an IO error at 0. i looked over all the soldering and didnt mess anything and nothing is shorting so im wondering what the problem could be. i noticed though that one of the pins on the upload header on the main pcb, not the dongle pcb, is a little higher than the rest so i was thinking maybe its not actually making contact with anything. all i was wondering if i would be able to tell if the proc is messed up. the board does the little LED test where it lights all of em up consecutively. does that mean the proc is fine? any other ideas?
well i would check that the 'higher' pin is actually soldered. that could definately make it not work. do a continuity test. on all the pins and the parallel port connector.
if the LEDs light up when you put in the battery then the processor is pretty much OK.

flipf0nt

Post by flipf0nt »

may b the higher pin is preventing the other pins to connect (it stops it from fitting correctly)

ice109

Post by ice109 »

am i supposed to have continuity between say 1 pin on the dongle and several on the main pcb? or is there a short?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i would look at the schematic and/or the traces on the circuit board

Post by Guest »

is it possible to have a short inside the PCB? i bought another one to rule out the possibility that i burned out an IC but this second is experiencing the same problem?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

pretty unlikely. id look for obvious splotches of copper but its very very rare

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”