No response from MiniPOV3 DIY

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brakk

No response from MiniPOV3 DIY

Post by brakk »

This is a DIY kit
Trying to program with windows XP with onboard serial port.
Doesn't light up at all

I don't get any indication that this is working at all. I've checked and rechecked all connections. I had to add an LED and resister connect straight to VCC just to tell if it's turned on. I'm powering it with a 3.7v lion battery but it doesn't make a difference if I use two AA batteries. The only difference I can see is that this is an attiny2313v instead of an attiny2313, but as far as I can tell, that shouldn't make a difference. I'm not sure where to start on this. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (85.83 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
IMG_2857b.JPG
IMG_2857b.JPG (169.02 KiB) Viewed 2309 times

brakk

Re: No response from MiniPOV3 DIY

Post by brakk »

Ok, I finally got a chance to work on it again and after much troubleshooting, I figured out that if I disconnect the LEDs, I can program it perfectly. I reconnect the LEDs and remove the serial cable and the program runs just like it should, but I cannot program it again unless I disconnect the LEDs. I'm guessing I only need to disconnect some of them, but I haven't taken the time to find out which ones.

If this was a kit and soldered to a board, it would be very hard to disconnect the LEDs. Does anyone have any idea why it is acting like this?

mtbf0

Re: No response from MiniPOV3 DIY

Post by mtbf0 »

brakk wrote:If this was a kit and soldered to a board, it would be very hard to disconnect the LEDs. Does anyone have any idea why it is acting like this?
if this were a kit and soldered to a board, you wouldn't have this issue. i'd guess that some of your resistors are shorting each other. or maybe you're getting some capacitance between those long naked leads. if you'd like to reprogram with minimal led removal, try pulling just the three on the right. those are the ones that connect to the programming lines.

or why not rewire it with the insulated jumpers connected to the mcu pins, then the resistors would only have to connect across the middle strip of the breadboard. you could even trim them a little.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”